Chicks not eating their starter feed

Imhaas2

Chirping
8 Years
May 22, 2015
I am confused/concerned because my chicks (10 weeks) do not seem to be eating their medicated chicken feed. I have been giving them oatmeal in the evening, but their food does not seem to be going down and they act like they are starving when I bring them their oats. I'm afraid to stop the oats for fear they are not getting enough food? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

How long have you had them?

Edit:

If you recently got them, they could be used to a different starter feed..

How's your weather? At 10 months, they could probably go outside and may be ready for not chick starter but grower feed.
Also check the food dispenser for mold or anything that might make them not want to eat it.

Last edited:
They are 10 weeks old, and outside in a large run. I checked their feed to make sure it was dry and smelled ok, but it seemed ok. They are so young that I felt they probably still needed to be on the starter.

Last edited:
They might be holding out for the oatmeal. Skip the oatmeal and they'll start eating the feed. If you feel really bad, moisten and warm some of the feed and offer that.

Last edited:
Chickens are like little kids. They will choose to eat their dessert instead of dinner every time. You need to stop giving them treats until they start eating their feed again. Oats will not give them the nutrition they need. If you continue to feed it as a replacement for their feed, it will cause growth problems. Feather picking may start from a lack of protein. And their bones could become malformed. Your chicks will not starve themselves. They will eat their feed if that is all that you provide them to eat.
Grit should always be given when feeding treats.

I will stop the treats, but do I include the grits with their food, or scatter it around the ground?

I will stop the treats, but do I include the grits with their food, or scatter it around the ground?
Grits... like ground corn??

or Grit..... like small rocks for gizzard function??

Girt for gizzard should not be mixed into feed....that may be why they are not eating the feed.

I called it grits, but it is actually scratch. I have stopped giving them the grits. I did throw them some sunflower seeds to keep them busy for a little while. I will now keep an eye out to make sure their feed is going down. I feel much better now, hearing that they won't starve themselves if there is good food available to them.

Back
Top Bottom