Chicks not hatching or absorbing blood what is going on?

wewcz5

Chirping
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Shasta county, Ca
Chicks are on day 23 has one chirping loudly yesterday so around 1-2 pm I opened a breathing hole. I have been monitoring it and its not absorbing the blood vessels. It's been about 15 hrs since I opened the hole. I candled a few yesterday and I could see them trying to break through the inner membrane. The reservoirs had dried up and I forgot to put water in them. When they went on lock down I realized my horrible mistake and put water and a sponge in there. The one I opened had a white membrane. I don't know if I need to assist all the eggs or just wait. It's been so long! Also I had to pull out a rotten egg yesterday. It had oozed a little into one of the reservors. I'm wondering if any of the babies will live. Can I do anything? The chick in the egg is still alive but the breathing has gone way down. :-( what do I do?

Thank you! I have read over those articles several times. I didn't think the blood had absorbed but when I applied some ointment like Sally had told me to do with the last batch I could see clearer that it had absorbed the blood. The membrane was too dry and sticky for the chick to hatch so I assisted it. It's drying right now in the incubator. I have another's piped and one chirping that hasn't piped through the egg yet. That one is my next concern. I am pretty positive that they are too dry to hatch properly. We had a broody hen that got off the nest and kept kicking eggs out. The incubator was a last minute try so save the eggs and I just forgot about the water after I out it in the first time. I feel horrible about it but will do my best to save every viable baby.

Don't beat yourself up about this hatch. Even broody hens don't get every chick to hatch and you are doing everything you can.
hugs.gif

Thank you! I needed that! I realized that I also put the babies in the turner upside down. I have one malpositioned baby piped. I saw a drop of blood on the membrane so I inspected and every time you touch the membrane it bleeds. It's chirping so I just put it back. Even though I can't see any veins it bleeds even at tge touch of a finger. Weird! I don't know if its bleeding inside its shell or what?

Back
Top Bottom