Chicks not hatching :(

ranthon

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Hey guys, I have been putting some quail and chukar eggs in my Hovabator hatcher, and they aren't quite hatching. The eggs fully develop the babies, but they never come out! I do raise the humidity to 70% but still no luck. I had a hatch of 6 quails when I got the incubator a couple months ago, so IDK what the deal is now. I just recently had a chukar hatch but the rest of the eggs that I put the same time didn't. So, I took out one of the chukar chicks who pipped but didn't come out in a day. He is still in the incubator but seems like he is either not fully developed or just weak/ crippled cuz he is not walking and such and has a crooked leg. What do you guys think about this matter? Any help is appreciated!

Hi and welcome to BYC.

I'm not familiar with these types of poultry. I do know that the university sites offer suggestions when you know the problems. Determining the solution is not always easy, but perhaps these sources can help you.

Trouble shooting hatching problems
http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html

Another hatching trouble shooter in a different setup that might be easier to use for some people. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

Hey guys, I have been putting some quail and chukar eggs in my Hovabator hatcher, and they aren't quite hatching. The eggs fully develop the babies, but they never come out! I do raise the humidity to 70% but still no luck. I had a hatch of 6 quails when I got the incubator a couple months ago, so IDK what the deal is now. I just recently had a chukar hatch but the rest of the eggs that I put the same time didn't. So, I took out one of the chukar chicks who pipped but didn't come out in a day. He is still in the incubator but seems like he is either not fully developed or just weak/ crippled cuz he is not walking and such and has a crooked leg. What do you guys think about this matter? Any help is appreciated!
Welcome! Congrats on the chukar baby!! This same thing happened to me last year with two of the pheasant I hatched. One, sadly had to be culled and the other grew up just fine, by the time he ran off I couldn't tell a difference between him and the rest of them. If it can move around to eat and drink that's a wonderful start. I've read threads on here before mentioning splinting the crippled leg or foot, the concensus seems to be the earlier you start this treatment the better. I did try this bu it didn't work for mine, chick just gave up after a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom