1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks not wanting to go into the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crayon, Jun 17, 2011.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    The last 3 nights our 4 week old chicks seem to be hunkering down in the fenced in area outside of their coop (it is an old dog kennel that is 1200 sqft- their coop is inside of this). They typically stay within 6-8 feet of the coop and do not refuse too much when I pick each one up and move him/her to the coop. They do squawk and go crazy once in, but they don't bolt out. It has not been hot here- in the mid to low 70's- right now it is 69 degrees.

Is it normal for them not to go to the coop once it gets dark or nearly dark? They have no issue going in and napping during the day.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

It seems to take awhile for them to figure it all out. Four weeks is pretty young to be out on their own - I didn't put mine into the coop until six weeks and then kept them on "lockdown" a few days so they understood that was home.

Best strategy that I've found is liberal handouts of scratch. Few chickens will fail to follow you anywhere you want them to go if you have a cup of scratch in your hand [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    They tend to dislike going from a lighter area (outside) to a darker area (inside). Try putting them to bed a little earlier. Throwing something yummy in the coop at bedtime will make your life a lot easier. [​IMG]

4. jimg5613

jimg5613 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    omaha
    My chickens have been outside in their new coop and run for 3 weeks today and they all finally went in on their own tonight. They will get it with a little time and patience. I thought they would never get it early on. Just be patient and give them time.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    Great! Thanks!!!! They have been out for about 2 weeks already. We had them only in the coop to start, then fenced in a small area 2x2 for them to stretch their legs and about 5 days ago too that section down so they have free range. They LOVE the outside space and they are really friendly and growing really really good.

I was more worried it was something about the coop they didn't like- it sounds like they are just like kids- "don't like the dark"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by