Chicks odd behavior!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldavis916, May 21, 2012.

1. ldavis916

ldavis916 In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Carmichael, CA
    This morning my Barred Rock, Hazel, started making these odd facial movements. looks like she is yawning or crowing with nothing coming out. She would also shake her head as if to get water out of her ears or something. Then this afternoon, the RIR, Penelope, started the same thing without the head shaking! Are they Roo's with no voice or is this an illness of some kind?

2. I'm a newbie so definitely see what someone more experienced says, but I had a chick that was "yawning" and I thought it was acting funny, but its been fine. It lasted for a little while one day and then it stopped.

3. ldavis916

ldavis916 In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Carmichael, CA
    Now a third chick is doing it! I'm afraid they have some illness that is spreading.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yawning is contagious!!! Separate and quarantine them or they'll all be doing it. Maybe they are complaining the food is to dry. Seriously, They look to be too young for gape worms. If they are eating and acting normal other wise I would say yawning is all it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: