Chicks of Different Ages Brooding Together?

FlyAnywayAJ

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2017
Hey Folks
Due to an unfortunately temperature fluctuation we ended up with a sole chick from a hatch who is now 4 days old and healthy. I know chicks are not happy alone so I am anxiously awaiting the hatching of my second batch of chicks (due to hatch tomorrow). I am wondering how to best add the "just hatched" chicks to the 5(ish) day old "Solo" (as an aside all our chickens are named with Star Wars themed names lol). I am worried about Solo as he (or she) is solo which is not the best environment for him. However I am also concerned the newborns will be crushed or injured (or even killed) by the slightly bigger chick.
Does anyone have experience with this? Suggestions? They will be brooded in my livingroom as it's still snowing here.
FYI Solo is an EE and the newborns will be BCMs

I have not had issues with brooding chicks that are a week or less apart in age.

1 to 2 week age difference is possible, but you need to watch closely when you first put them together.

BCMs are pretty mellow and shouldn't give you too much trouble up to 2 weeks.

If you were adding a single newly hatched chick to 6 or more older chicks.... totally different thing.

Back
Top Bottom