Chicks of same breed and age, one much bigger --

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fiddleblue, Mar 8, 2015.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I have a question for those of you who are experienced with chicks. I have some bantam chicks that I bought "straight run", eg unsexed, so it is not known if they are male or female: two silkies, and 5 mille fleur d'uccles. In these two groups, I have noticed that one of the silkie chicks is significantly larger than the other, although they are the exact same age (12 days), and the same breed. Of the mille fleurs, two of the five are significantly larger than another two, and one is in the middle. Again, same exact age (14 days) and breed. Do you think that the larger ones are males, or are there size ranges within the sexes as well?

2. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I think it's too soon to tell; however, I will tell you that I thought one of my pullets was a little roo for the longest time. She was the largest, bossiest, loudest, and most affectionate. Nearly five months later, and I am finally confident she is a she...lol. Not only that, but the quickest to mature. She filled out faster than the others, her comb recently turning a bright red and nearly doubling in size. She also recently started squatting. The others are still smaller with pale faces.

I'm waiting for my first egg from her any day now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by