Chicks on verge of death because of sand??

Thanks for the response! There’s 2 brahmas, 2 leghorns and 2 Easter eggers! They’ve been completely fine when on grass! They’ve played in the grass for about an hour with no issues! They do have some baby fuzz still. Can bring cold cause them to go limp?? That’s my only theory at this point! Maybe the sand was too cool even though it was warm out.
The temperature in the brooder is reduced 5 degrees a week so they can gradually be weaned off the heat. These chicks are too young to place on a cold surface inside or outside.(concrete floor or wet sand in the shade) .It can cause their core body temp to drop too fast & kill them.They don't have enough body fat at 2-3 weeks.Thats why they were fine in the sun & grass.

Hi everyone!

It’s my first post. We have 6 chicks and they’ll be 3 weeks old in 2 days. We have them inside in the brooder, and decided to introduce them to their coop and run yesterday for an hour or so since it was nice and warm out (85). We have construction sand in the coop, and the sand is cooler than the air around. I’d say maybe 70. We put them in the run and watched them run around for 15 mins or so. They were not pecking at the sand much, just running around. Suddenly, one of them lays down like she’s going to take a dust bath, then lays on her side for about 5 mins. Her eyes close and the other chicks are running over her. So I took her out and her legs were completely limp, and her wings were dragging down. She was unable to walk and would just fall over. I brought her in and checked her out and put her back in the brooder, within 15 mins she was back to her normal self. So weird. We put them back in the brooder and decided to try again today. Same temp (about 85 outside), and the sand about 70 (it’s under shade). Within 15 mins 3/6 birds cannot move and are laying in the sand in their sides. Their legs and wings seems completely paralyzed. When I laid them in their backs they were unable to get up. So I brought them all back into the brooder and within about 15 mins, everyone is back to normal. WHAT in the world is going on????? Could it be the cooler sand??? They ONLY show these symptoms in the sand. NEVER in the brooder. The sand is washed. I really can’t think of anything. I’m scared to put them back in!! But they are really outgrowing the brooder and I’d love for them to spend daytime outside since it’s been 85-90!

Thank you!
Put outside at 2 weeks old on a cold surface can cause sudden death.You were able to save them both times.Please don't put them back on the cold sand.Baby chicks this young don't have enough fat to insulate them.They get too hot too fast and too cold and takes too long to cool off or warm back up. It causes them to dehydrate rapidly when they run and play on the cold wet sand.Hope this helps!

Put outside at 2 weeks old on a cold surface can cause sudden death.You were able to save them both times.Please don't put them back on the cold sand.Baby chicks this young don't have enough fat to insulate them.They get too hot too fast and too cold and takes too long to cool off or warm back up. It causes them to dehydrate rapidly when they run and play on the cold wet sand.Hope this helps!
Thank you SO MUCH. I though it would be okay since it was a warm day. I feel so bad! Thank you for enlightening me. I will definitely wait to put them out again!!

Back
Top Bottom