Chicks or Hens?

Which is better to start with? Chicks or Hens?

• Chicks

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Hens

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kacynlaura

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
I'm new to raising chickens and we don't yet have one but I was wondering what the best stage to get them at would be. Do you all prefer when they are chicks or more fully grown hens? Are there advantages one way or the other?

There are pros and cons for each age of bird.

Chicks: Chicks are nice because they are inexpensive, tame easily, and are usually readily available in many different breeds/varieties. They are less likely to carry disease, too. And of course, they're adorable.
love.gif
Watching chicks grow from tiny fluffballs to mature, egg-laying chickens is very rewarding, as well as educational. Disadvantages include: more labor requirements, a longer wait for eggs/meat, and fragility of the chicks.

Adult birds: Adult birds have a few advantages. Firstly, they take a lot less care than chicks do--no special brooder requirements or nurturing. Eggs may already be being produced, or are very close, which is a benefit if you can't wait for the eggs or have a commercial-type operation. Adults birds are stronger than chicks, as well. Some disadvantages include: greater likelihood of them carrying disease, and a flighty nature. Adult birds don't tame very easily.

Personally, I prefer chicks. However, the "best" age of bird does vary for each person.

Last edited:
I think chicks because you can get them vaccinated, know how they were raised, and they are just so cute!!! It also might make things a little easier because sometimes when people sell hens, they'll have lice, mites, or may have stopped laying already. When you buy chicks, you also can train them and they'll know you from the very beginning!!

This is just my opinion, you can do whatever you want.
wink.png

I prefer to get chicks for the reasons given by the previous members who posted. I especially like the option of having so many different choices in breeds readily available (something you just don't find with older birds).

Back
Top Bottom