Chicks or Pullets??? Help the fair is next weekend!!

zookeypr12

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Good morning everyone,

I am so very new to this and I am trying to get as much info as possible before I head off to the fair next weekend.

We are in the process of converting our 8x8 shed and building a run.

I have 3 boys who are very excited about helping pick out the chicks/chickens..............and that is the problem, I dont know if we should get them as babies? will they be more friendlier with us because we raised them or will pullets be just fine?

any suggestion ?
fl.gif

~k

Doesn't really matter. If you want eggs now buy hens, if you want to watch pullets grow up then get chicks.

Good luck!

You want hens and pullets; they are the girls:)

Depending on where you live and if winter weather will be a problem here are my thoughts, Chicks will need a brooder or place where they can have a heat lamp on them 24 hours a day to keep their body temps stable. Day olds require 98 degrees right under the lamp and a large area/brooder for them to get away from the heat if they need too. Your degree of heat lowers each week by 5 degrees til they are fuly feathered out at around 8 to 10 weeks old. Sometimes they need the heat lamp alittle longer. They will or should become friendly depending on the breed since you will have raised them from day olds and handled them.

Pullets will lay sooner for you, should be accustom to your temps already and won't require the heat lamp. It may take time for them to get use to you and take alittle longer to be friendly if they have not been handled...my opinions

Thanks for the help,

I have been reading more and more and honestly I think I am so new to this it would be better to stick with the pullets.

From what I have been reading chicks seem like a lot of work and I would hate to put their little lives in jeopardy because of my lack of knowledge right now
idunno.gif

I do really want eggs soon so I guess the best bet is pullets
D.gif
for now and maybe when I get some experience under my belt I can try chicks
jumpy.gif

Thanks

~k

Back
Top Bottom