Chicks or pullets?

The cost will even out, or actually cost a bit more for chicks if you go all in on equipment for them (brooder, heat pad/lamp, chick-specific feeder/waterer, bedding, etc). There is also of course all the food they will eat in the 4-7 months before they start laying. Additionally, it is fairly probable you will end up with at least one boy on accident, unless you buy sex linked chicks, which RIR are not. Also, you will need to spend a lot more time with chicks, and have a space inside for them. If you start to free range them as they enter adolescence, they are in a lot more danger than full-sized birds.

You don't need any of that if you buy pullets. Also there's no need to order pullets online and have them shipped. Most areas have chicken people who will sell birds. Check craigslist. Just make sure to talk to the person who is selling them and also look at their set-up. I've done this a couple times and had no issues. I've also sold birds on craigslist.

Last edited:
My parents want them for eggs, I also want them for eggs but, I also want a friendly one. Because I am doing online school I don’t get to see my friends so I get lonely. If we start from chicks would they be friendlier than pullets? Plus, for collecting eggs if I don’t have friendly chickens they might peck at me when I collect eggs. I also want to shoe my friends the chickens when COVID is over but if we start from pullets they might not come when ever I want them to come so my friends can see them. I also want to name them I already made a list of names for only 6 chicks. If I get pullets they probably won’t be used to being called a name or they might already have one. Such a hard decision.

My parents want them for eggs, I also want them for eggs but, I also want a friendly one. Because I am doing online school I don’t get to see my friends so I get lonely. If we start from chicks would they be friendlier than pullets? Plus, for collecting eggs if I don’t have friendly chickens they might peck at me when I collect eggs. I also want to shoe my friends the chickens when COVID is over but if we start from pullets they might not come when ever I want them to come so my friends can see them. I also want to name them I already made a list of names for only 6 chicks. If I get pullets they probably won’t be used to being called a name or they might already have one. Such a hard decision.
Anecdotally speaking they should be more friendly. I say that, and can also say we have a Golden Laced Wyandotte that was hand raised and feels that I am the devil incarnate even though I treated her the same as the other two that came in. The other two love me like a mother and instantly fall asleep when picked up or on my lap, so who really knows. I bought specifically with friendliness in mind for our girls. I don't have any experience with RIR, but I know people that love theirs very much. I leaned way into ornamental breeds and EE mutts for the blue/green eggs and notoriously friendly temperaments. It is such a hard decision. The statement about being lonely with online school makes me really feel for you. You might actually benefit from chicks as they are more flexible and easier to love upon.
Our started pullets do know their names, they learned them faster than the babies did 🤣. If I say "BB-8!" she perks up and comes running. She isn't a lap chicken though. Pullets will definitely bond, they just may not be as cuddly.

Chicks are more work but are fun and adorable. I recommend chicks at least once in your chicken-keeping career, but it is HARD to wait for those first beautiful eggs! Plus you do need to buy the equipment, feed, and chicks. It’s *slightly* more time and cost effective to start with pullets, plus you get eggs sooner.

My advice is go with whichever, but at least once in your life enjoy some baby peeps, because they are the best. Enjoy them now or later, it doesn’t matter.

On the subject of “friendliness,” I have several hens that were not hand raised and were purchased as adults form someone who never handled them, and they turned out to be straight-up lap chickens. The buff Brahma in my profile pic is one of them. I’m not sure how common that occurrence can happen though!

Chicks don't stay small and cute for very long. They become awkward teenagers slowly growing in their feathers within a few weeks.
They will not be pre-named regardless of what age you buy them. If you want to name them you will have to teach them by calling them and giving them treats. Most likely they will all come rather than just the name you call though.
No matter what age you get them, if you try to take eggs out from under them, they will peck at you. However, they don't spend that much time in their nest boxes. They will sit and lay and then go out to forage. You have to wait until everyone's done and the eggs are unattended to grab them.
The personalities of chickens vary from chicken to chicken, but the few RIRs I've had have been very friendly. If you feed them worms or corn out of your hands they will like you very much :).

I also want to name them I already made a list of names for only 6 chicks. If I get pullets they probably won’t be used to being called a name or they might already have one. Such a hard decision.
That won't be a problem.
Chickens can be easily taught to come. They aren't like dogs, but they are smart enough to learn basic things like that - particularly if food is involved.
No matter what age you get them, if you try to take eggs out from under them, they will peck at you.
Only one of my (self hatched) birds will peck me if I take the eggs while she's there, but I didn't have a problem with my started pullets pecking me, either.
They were all friendly.

Chicks are more work but are fun and adorable. I recommend chicks at least once in your chicken-keeping career, but it is HARD to wait for those first beautiful eggs! Plus you do need to buy the equipment, feed, and chicks. It’s *slightly* more time and cost effective to start with pullets, plus you get eggs sooner.

My advice is go with whichever, but at least once in your life enjoy some baby peeps, because they are the best. Enjoy them now or later, it doesn’t matter.

On the subject of “friendliness,” I have several hens that were not hand raised and were purchased as adults form someone who never handled them, and they turned out to be straight-up lap chickens. The buff Brahma in my profile pic is one of them. I’m not sure how common that occurrence can happen though!
I love so hard that you experienced that with your adult purchased girls! I love thinking my experience is not as common as I think it is :). Your Brahma is lovely, I know a few that are incredibly sweet!

That won't be a problem.
Chickens can be easily taught to come. They aren't like dogs, but they are smart enough to learn basic things like that - particularly if food is involved.

Only one of my (self hatched) birds will peck me if I take the eggs while she's there, but I didn't have a problem with my started pullets pecking me, either.
They were all friendly.

Lol I don't like to interrupt them while they are laying. I guess you are right though, they don't peck every time it happens. Thinking back, it's mostly when a hen is going broody that she has gotten more aggressive with me touching her eggs :). Still it feels like walking in on someone while they are in the bathroom. It's rude and sometimes you're going to get yelled at.

Lol I don't like to interrupt them while they are laying. I guess you are right though, they don't peck every time it happens. Thinking back, it's mostly when a hen is going broody that she has gotten more aggressive with me touching her eggs :). Still it feels like walking in on someone while they are in the bathroom. It's rude and sometimes you're going to get yelled at.
It does 🤣 and I try not to take the eggs in their presence. I get some nasty glares.

I love so hard that you experienced that with your adult purchased girls! I love thinking my experience is not as common as I think it is :). Your Brahma is lovely, I know a few that are incredibly sweet!

I am completely in love with them. It all started because the pair (I have two brahmas) would just stand at my feet and stare at me when I was sitting on the porch. One day I was kind of annoyed and just bent down and picked one up to give her “forced cuddles” and low and behold she sat down on my lap and started dozing as I pet her waddles. I was like, “well I’ll be!” It turns out she was wanting on my lap the whole time. Now any time I’m outside I’ll make a point to pick one of the two up for some cuddles.

Back
Top Bottom