Chicks Outside Tonight?

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
I have been working to move my hen and 6 chicks out to the shed/coop. They are 6 weeks old now and mom is still actively caring for them. They have been in my basement until now where is gets around 45-50 at night easily. They have been spending days outside in about 45 temps in the sunlight. It is supposed to be 35 tonight. Would you put them out in a draft free safe spot with mom without a light?

If I did add a light for tonight, I could only do a 75 watt and I feel a bit uncomfortable about that since all the hay is in this shed--fire hazard!

She has raised babies before...very good mom...buff orp.

Last time I let her stay broody over the winter!!

Oh--and when do they technicial "feather out"?

Last edited:
I guess as long as it will stay above freezing that the mama hen can keep them warm enough, as long as they don't get chilled they'll probably do ok.

I have two hens with chicks in my barn under a light all day and it goes off at nite and they stay under mamma - one group is 1 week old, the other is under one week old. They are doing great! They were hatched in barn tho.

tnkin--if you dont mind me asking, what are your evening temps?? Is your barn heated?

They have never been kept at a brooder temps since they have mom. They have varied around 45 at night or so and have been spending the last few days outside.

Last edited:
Follow Up - my chicks were put under hen when I got them from feed store - they were about three days old - but last nite it got in the low 30's and one must of got out from under her and it was dead this am. I have 12 under another much larger hen and they are doing fine. How are your's doing?

Back
Top Bottom