chicks pecking at each other

TrishChibas

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
FL
PLease help! I have 5 chicks and they seem to have ganged up on one. I heard a chick chirping quite loudly so I ran to go see what the problem was. They picked her poor little tush and now her little pin feathers are bleeding. What do I do? What do I put on it? I've seperated them for now but the hurt one keeps chirping because it's lonely . They're only a week and a half old and I only have 1 heat lamp. Ahhh. I don't know what to do. We live in Fl so it's pretty hot already but I don't want to stress her out. Please help me asap.

Ugh! It gets even worse. I have another problem... out of the 5 chicks I have, 2 are red stars. The one with the bloody butt happens to be one of them. The other red star chick had a drop of blood on her from the wound on the other chick. The rest of the chicks started picking at her now! I cleaned the blood off but now they wont stop picking at her! This is a nightmare. She's not bleeding yet, but I know it's just a matter of time. I'm still new to all this chicken stuff

I don't know from experience but other people have said either put blue kote on where they are bloody as the colour blue doesn't excite the other chicks like red does, or use a red heat lamp so they can't see the blood. Hope they are fine before too long.
smile.png

It's a pretty big brooder. THey have plenty of room to run around and what not. I tried putting the 2 red stars together but the one kept picking at the other ones bum. It's like crack and they can't stop! So frustraing! Right now I have 5 chickens in 3 different boxes. The 2 that are alone wont stop chirping because they're lonely. I feel so bad!

OK i have been threw the same situation before with my chicks and its frustrating like you said
barnie.gif
. Go to any feed store and buy Anti-pecking spray like Rooster-Booster Anti-Peck, Hot-Pick Anti-Peck Spray, Johnsons Anti-Peck Spray, Ukadex Anti-Peck spray, Pine Tar. Apply to the affected area and because it smells and tastes nasty eventually the pecking will stop.
thumbsup.gif
You can also add 1tsp of salt or vinegar oil per gallon to their water and it needs to be changed daily. Hope all goes well with your baby's
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom