Chicks Pecking Each Other

Suz1

Hatching
Jun 12, 2017
hi ll- very New at this... have a dozen 5 week old white leghorns that we "inherited". The chicks are pecking horribly at each other and 3 had to be removed due to the severity of it. Any ways to prevent this? Plenty of feed and clean water available, kids andninare handling them often throughout the day.

Any ideas/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi there. In order to better help you I would need to ask a couple of questions first.
What is the size of their brooder and what temperature is it.
Do you have a heat lamp on them?

Welcome to BYC!
Here is a video that will help you navigate this site:
If possible could you upload a few pictures of your brooder set up.

Hi there. In order to better help you I would need to ask a couple of questions first.

Welcome to BYC!

X2

Same issue here. I just moved the heat lamp out. Would that have anything to do with it? I thought they might just be establishing a "pecking order", but a couple of them had started to bleed. Any thoughts?

Welcome to BYC!
Thanks for replying! We have 7 in one space-Their area is about 3x4.... no heat lamp. Room is consistently 68-73 degrees. The other 4 are in a smaller space(now known as the recovery room!) but in the same room.

Same issue here. I just moved the heat lamp out. Would that have anything to do with it? I thought they might just be establishing a "pecking order", but a couple of them had started to bleed. Any thoughts?
Not sure about any of this- no heat lamp here. Mine were bleeding too. Hope we can both get some help.

Back
Top Bottom