Chicks pecking own feet

SthrnChicks

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
I'm very new to the chicken thing. I have a pair of chicks (pic below). When scratching in the yard or when eating in the dog crate (temporary housing) they peck at each others' toes and at their own toes, even with food right before them. I haven't seen any drawn blood. I've done some searching and can't find anything on whether this is normal behavior. I assumed they were mistaking their toes for worms, but wanted to ask the experts. And can you tell what breed they are? I was so excited, I forgot what the Feed Store clerk told me.

eac9e79b.jpg

They should get over that behavior quickly. The only time I have seen it happen that they drew blood by pecking toes was in very cold weather, when they ran out of food overnight (they were older chicks). I felt horrible and immediately separated the bloody chick until no more blood visible. I had to use blood stop powder. There were no permanent effects from it.

So yes it happens, and is normal, but they shouldn't remain obsessed by each others' feet or draw blood. You can put no-pick lotion on them if they draw blood (tastes bad), but you probably won't see this problem.

Thanks for the help!

I noticed yesterday while they were free ranging in the yard that they stopped pecking at their toes when they became more adventuresome and started exploring their environment. Discovering an ant hill was like Christmas to them.

I've got a chick who is pecking his own foot and seems to be limping a bit and generally not up on his feet as much as the others. Anything to sweat or do you think it's minor and clears itself up?

I'm very new to the chicken thing. I have a pair of chicks (pic below). When scratching in the yard or when eating in the dog crate (temporary housing) they peck at each others' toes and at their own toes, even with food right before them. I haven't seen any drawn blood. I've done some searching and can't find anything on whether this is normal behavior. I assumed they were mistaking their toes for worms, but wanted to ask the experts. And can you tell what breed they are? I was so excited, I forgot what the Feed Store clerk told me.

eac9e79b.jpg

At my store: Wild Cargo Pets
I got the same breed as you
I know its 2017 now and its late but that black one with the spots is a Plymouth Rock (Barred Rock) Chick and the the yellow one is a Campine Chick
I remember because I got 2 Plymouths and 2 Campines

I've got a chick who is pecking his own foot and seems to be limping a bit and generally not up on his feet as much as the others. Anything to sweat or do you think it's minor and clears itself up?
How old is the chick?
This is very common behavior but usually stops at less than a week old, once they figure out that live chicken feet aren't edible. I have seen a chick tip itself over grabbing and pulling at it's own feet. :D
If it's limping badly and not eating drinking pooping and as active as the others,
best take a good look at it's feet and legs, make sure there's not injury or deformity.

Look like Barred Rock and Easter Egger.
Ancient thread alert ;) I'm seeing a bunch lately!

How old is the chick?
This is very common behavior but usually stops at less than a week old, once they figure out that live chicken feet aren't edible. I have seen a chick tip itself over grabbing and pulling at it's own feet. :D
If it's limping badly and not eating drinking pooping and as active as the others,
best take a good look at it's feet and legs, make sure there's not injury or deformity.

Ancient thread alert ;) I'm seeing a bunch lately!

Yep it had a cut on the bottom of it's foot. All healed up now and hanging with her pals again. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom