Chicks pulling out feathers going bald

Maine82

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 15, 2012
This is my first hatch of quails they are button quails comming up for 5 days old they have now started to pull there feathers out one has a completely bald bum and underneath all the others are constantly pecking at there feathers and starting to look like they will do the same.
I can't see any mites or anything
Could anyone give me some advice I am in the uk

No experience with Quails but I'm wondering, what kind of feed to you have them on? I've heard that if birds aren't getting enough protein in their diet, they will pluck and eat feathers for the protein. Make sure you have appropriate feed for that type of bird. You could try putting some diversion items in the box such as a pecking block (find in feed stores), hanging some bells, putting up little perches, use your imagination. The perches also help for them to get away from bullys.. Again I'm not familiar with quails persay but I know what worked with my chicks..sounds like a bullying thing (maybe try separating them?) or malnutrition or boredom. Or combo.. :)

Hi thanks for the reply they are on chick crumb protein is 18% also been adding apple cider vinegar to there water I will go to pet store tomorrow and see if I can get them a few things for boredom have checked the worse quails and can find no mites or anything on them might try a spray of some sort to try stop them doing it and maybe see if there is anything I can get other then chick crumb
Thanks again for the reply

Back
Top Bottom