Chicks & scratch

junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
I give my hens and chicks 5 grain scratch that I get from TSC .
I want to start adding dried peas, unsweeten raisins, whole unsalted pumpkin seeds, boss, and unsalted peanuts to the scratch,

so my question would be.
Can I let the 8 week old chicks have that mixture to? I didn't know if the size of those items wouldn't be good for chicks. Or if it wouldn't harm them

Last edited:
I don't give my chicks anything but chick starter crumbles. Pullets and hens get all flock crumbles. This is their main food source and they are very healthy. It's so easy to stick with the formulated feed.

I don't give my chicks anything but chick starter crumbles. Pullets and hens get all flock crumbles. This is their main food source and they are very healthy. It's so easy to stick with the formulated feed.
I switched my feed from layer, to all flock, both hens and chicks get the same feed, untill they start laying , then I will go back to layer feed.
I do give my chickens scratch before they go to roost in the evening, to help keep them warmer from moving and scratching.
So my question is can chicks get the same scratch mixture that the hens get,?

I switched my feed from layer, to all flock, both hens and chicks get the same feed, untill they start laying , then I will go back to layer feed.
I do give my chickens scratch before they go to roost in the evening, to help keep them warmer from moving and scratching.
So my question is can chicks get the same scratch mixture that the hens get,?
Oh I see. I don't know why not, as long as they have chick grit.

Back
Top Bottom