Chicks seem werid

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do need a heat source but NOT necessarily a heat lamp. In fact, I have never once used a heat lamp and I’ve had like 7 different batches of chicks, quail, etc. now. I used MHP for the first two and then switched to a heat plate for the rest and one batch was broody raised and I far prefer all of those to the heat lamp. Heat lamps stress them out having light on them constantly. Plus the fire hazard and numerous other things. Now, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend no heat source like that person was suggesting BUT they said they were inside the house and houses are generally quite warm so I’m sure they were fine. When my broody hatched chicks, they hardly ever went under her except at night. They were fine. Granted, it was mid summer but still. She had them out free ranging at like 3 days old. Earlier than I would have done it but they were the healthiest and happiest chicks I have ever had.
Oh yes broody hens are amazing mothers!!! I edited my post just before this to include heating pads, and I completely agree broody hens \ partial heat is the way to go.

Oh yes broody hens are amazing mothers!!! I edited my post just before this to include heating pads, and I completely agree broody hens \ partial heat is the way to go.
Ohhhhh okay sorry! I didn’t notice the edit :oops: sorry, didn’t mean to seem rude or whatever hahah I just didn’t want people getting confused because when I first got my first birds, I had read the lower by 5 every week thing and that they’d die without it etc. but then right after I got the heat bulb I read about MHP and decided to do that instead before I even set it up and have since tried plates, etc. and have never looked back LOL I do prefer the cave since they can’t really snuggle up with the heat plates but it’s far easier to clean so :oops: 😂 anyway, I was just amazed how those little tiny fluff balls could keep up and go all over the yard with her lol and how fast they grew!

You can use a incandescent bulb also, 60 watt save electricity and not as much heat for such a small area. Prolly use a 40 watt since such small area. The heat lamp for small area is to big.
Get some card boxes and tape and make a box. Cut pieces cardboard if need and just tape it together. Improvise.
My temporary setup, I use 60 watt incandescent in this set up. A box made from scrape cardboard taped together.
Next they will goto to a stock tank.

temp brooder.jpg

You can use a incandescent bulb also, 60 watt save electricity and not as much heat for such a small area. Prolly use a 40 watt since such small area. The heat lamp for small area is to big.
Get some card boxes and tape and make a box. Cut pieces cardboard if need and just tape it together. Improvise.
My temporary setup, I use 60 watt incandescent in this set up. A box made from scrape cardboard taped together.
Next they will goto to a stock tank.

View attachment 2558235
This is a GREAT recommendation! Especially if you can't get the poor chicks a bigger space!

Show them where the food is. Also, it may be too hot. If they are panting, the heat lamp may be too close and they don’t have a place to go to cool off. I suggest putting the lamp higher or getting a bigger box so they have an area that will not be as hot. Also, try giving it food in your hand and see if they eat it. They may not be familiar with it and doesn’t know what to do with it. Chicks without a mama hen are new to everthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom