CHICKS shipped to AMES, IA

thistlecreek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Central Iowa
Hello,

I am looking for some suggestions on where I can get some good chicks. I am looking for a few different breeds and am hoping for suggestions. First, where can I get good Marans? I'm looking for the VERY DARK CHOCOLATE brown eggs. I've heard that Murray Mcmurray's are disappointing so, even though they are close to us, I'd rather try somewhere else. I'm also looking for olive eggers and more EE's. I'd like to get around 10 chicks and prices need to be reasonable!

Again, I'm looking for CHICKS!

Thanks!

My suggestion , especially since you want small quantity, is to check your nearest feed store. Most sell chicks in the spring time. You can buy small quantities. Hatchery orders are usually larger minimums plus cost of shipping. Another thing about smaller orders from hatcheries in colder weather is they sometimes don't make it live because of lack of warmth in small numbers. Just because some may have had bad experiences with a particular hatchery, does not mean all people will. They are only people and I'm sure they want to do their best given the circumstances. They want to stay in business. Also check classified ads like craigs list for local people offering to sell their chicks. You did mention that MUST BE REASONABLE And I agree with you there.

Just a little update and a disclaimer. LOL LOL I am not affiliated with Mcmurry hatchery. Check out this youtube link with much information. I think it may be helpful. BEST WISHES.

You'd think living in Iowa, I'd be surrounded by breeders, but I have yet to find many. We've got several hatcheries in our state but I've heard the same comments about them not laying dark chocolate eggs. Craigslist is iffy to me too because I'm pretty concerned about biosecurity and keeping my flock healthy. Hopefully someone will see this that can give me a name/place!

Also all of my hens came from Murray Mcmurray. I had to cull both the Anconas I got from them at 6 months. Necropsies revealed that they had lymphoma (confirmed by a pathologist). Unfortunately, this is something they can actually get from the hatchery and it is likely the parent stock of Anconas is infected with Lymphoid Leukosis. I'd still go back to MM, but I am a little hesitant

Back
Top Bottom