Chicks sneeze within the first few minutes of being outside 1st time

luvmychickies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
Ogdensburg, NY (near Canada)
I have 5 1/2 week old chickens, and thought since it is 80 degrees and sunny today, I'd bring them outside for the first time just for fun. I had a large wire dog crate set up so it had part sun and part shade. I carefully carried each one out to the crate from their brooder one by one. I had 9 out of 11 out there, and suddenly noticed a sneeze. Then another, and another! Within 5 minutes of being outside, they were all sneezing!!! Never before had I noticed any of my chicks sneezing. I am so worried now. It was like all of a sudden... is it my fault for bringing them outside (I had read that it was okay), but it seems a little sudden to be sick in 5 minutes. There are no other symptoms that I have noticed. This just happened within the last half hour, so I will have to continue to watch for other symptoms. What is going on? What should I do???? Should I be as worried as I am? Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

In 60 yrs of raising chickens NEVER had any chickens do that

surely the dog crate did not have some type of lose dust that got stirred up when they were put in the crate?

did they keep sneezing when you put them back in the house?

if so it must be some kind of respiratory disease they got from the wind on them

email me some answers to this problem
will try and see what to do

how old are the chicks?
email me

No the dog crate was not dusty. It is a clean, coated wire, brand new crate that I got for my dog and she didn't like it. It was so wierd. All that work getting them out there to explore, and as soon as the sneezing started and it was evident all birds were doing it, I brought them right back in, worried about them. They sneezed for a little while back in their brooder at first, but I just got back from checking on them again, and there seems to be no more sneezing. So weird!

Another thought, maybe it was just the stress in the change of environment???

Thank you robin416 and Glenda for your help.
smile.png

If it only occurs when you put them outside and there is no other symptoms, it could be something outside that is irritating them. My chickens sneeze when they dig through pine chips. Is there anything growing outside that has a strong smell or irritating?

DB

I'm back... my chick sneezing problem is NOT over as I had thought. The first chick I brought outside still occassionally sneezes. No other chicks are sneezing, yet. I just know I must have stressed her out by bringing her outside first, because prior to that she was 100 percent healthy. Anyways, what to do now??? Do I separate her? Won't it kill her to just be alone, without the rest of the flock or another chicken at least? On the other hand, I certainly don't want to make the rest of them sick. Then what, if I separate her, what do I do for her? I'm not going to cull her. She is my only Delaware, and unfortunately my favorite. This has been going on for a few days. She is 6 weeks old now, and I was planning to move them this weekend out to the coop. This is my first time raising chicks and I don't want to make any more mistakes! Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom