Chicks started hatching early how long in lockdown

Junglebob

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
My eggs started hatching yesterday afternoon, while the egg turner was still in the bator. I took it out as suggested and put the eggs on the floor of the incubator. I added a 1/2 pint jar of water with a sponge to get the humidity up and put a humidifier in the room. The glass on the incubator got some condensation on it so I guess the humidity is high enough, couldn't read the humidity meter through the glasss.

About 1/7 of the eggs have hatched, how long do I keep the cover on, should I help pip the eggs after 24 hours? If not how long should I wait? These should have hatched friday night, so they are a little early.

Last edited:
I think you are not suppose to open the lid when in lockdown and all hatch at different times. If there is a lot of water droplets on the lid I was told to remove plugs or crack the corner just a little. I am new at this too so I would get another opinion. Also I would not help them pip. I only help mine when they have piped and started zipping and only if they zipped but after a long time they are not doing anything anymore and seem tire and if they seem dried out and cant move. otherwise I would not help at all. In fact I think when you open the bator in lockdown it really messes things up. for me it seems to be that way.

Last edited:
Quote:
I did uncover the plug holes and crack the top a little, now I can read the humidity meter says 70% and the glass is clearing up. Zipped after a long time, how long? The definition of zipped is?

Last edited:
If you have condensation your humidity is PLENTY high. If you have a way of drawing off some of the water without opening the incubator it might be good to do so but if you can't do it without opening the incubator, don't do it at all. The chicks are fine in the incubator for a couple of days. It's really best not to open the incubator for any reason if you can possibly help doing so.

You shouldn't have to help a chick out of a shell with the humidity where it is supposed to be.

Zipping is when the chick breaks the shell around the circumference of the egg in order to hatch. During this time, the chick is rotating in the shell and using the egg tooth on it's beak to break the shell. This is a particularly important time NOT to open the incubator.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be patient and wait til tommorow to open up the bator, can see at least one more egg that looks like it has been pipped.

I'm guessing that a dozen more hatched in one bator, I have 2 actually, probably not quite as many in the second. The second ones fan quit for a little while, then got going again. This is my second try at hatching, earlier I set 90 in the 2 and got 0 hatch.

Back
Top Bottom