Chicks that don't thrive...what do you do? Fairly Urgent...

I'll go out to my daughter's this afternoon and take a few pics and post. She swears it is pecking at food more often now. It's also taking the egg yolk mixture more readily when offered by eye dropper.
smile.png

needmorechickens! :

Can you tell me the specifics on the yolk and sugar mixture you are using...I got a lazy little chick that I would like to try to help...
hmm.png

~Rebecca

1 egg yolk/ 1 tsp of sugar/ 1 teaspoon of chick starter

I just let it sit until the starter is very soft, then stir it up well. It's easily given by eye dropper...you just have to be so careful not to get it in the chicks nostrils.​

Where do you get ether? Back in 2006 when we started hatching for the first time we had a couple hatch with their stomachs open from not absorbing the yolk completely. Hubby decapitated it but it was hard on him to do that and I surely can't do it. We didn't know what else to do. I wouldn't mind having that onhand for those rare occasions to make it easier on all involved.

Quote:
This method has worked fine on every adult bird I have had to put down, but it has only been 1 and she was a bantam silkie.

I could see it working ok for a silkie.....I was thinking large fowl adults.

Back
Top Bottom