Chicks Through the mail?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenGirl3, May 14, 2011.

1. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Hey Everybody,
    I wanted to get chicks online and my county doesn't allow chickens unless we have 2 acres.I don't know if the mail people will bust me...but luckily my state was a law that states the county can't take away any livestock if they are used for food! [​IMG] WOOHOO [​IMG] ! Will the mail people bust me anyway?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would be surprised if the mail carrier ratted you out, but stranger things have happened. More likely will be neighbor's. Check your towns codes carefully so you don't go to all the trouble and expense of housing for the chickens only to have to get rid of them. Make sure the law you spoke of pertains to chickens within the city limits, if that's where you are.

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Give the PO your phone number and ask them to call you when the chicks come in so you can go pick them up. Most people do that anyway so the chicks don't have to wait around the PO and then go out on the carrier on the route. The PO will be glad to get rid of the box full of peepers peeping their heads off. You could be picking them up for someone else, and besides, it is not their business to question anything legal for shipping by mail.

4. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    POs are not supposed to deliver chicks anymore. The hatchery should tell you to call your PO, close to your ship date and let them know how to get a hold of you so you can come when they call you. The info will be on the packing slip, but it is always good to touch bases with them. They called me at 6:30 in the morning. As for ratting you out...that depends on who the person is. It wouldn't be a USPS policy to rat you out..but employees are human. I doubt they know the square footage of your property anyway nor will they most likely care.

5. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

ChickenGirl,
    I feel if anyone 'rats' you out, it would be your neighbors............just depends on how close they are and what kind of people they are.
    Good neighbors are worth their weight in GOLD!!! AND they get fresh eggs too. [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chicks are pickup at the PO, so no, I don't think they'll care much about anything.

7. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    I asked my neighbors before I got chicks, and they said "great!" I also bribe them with eggs. My post office delivered chicks right to the door. They called to say they were on their way. Mail carrier seemed highly amused at the peeping package and my excitement to receive it. I don't think the PO would bother to rat on you. Like I tell my friends, I've never seen a poultry inspector going door to door looking for illegal chickens. They won't come out unless someone complains.

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:My mail carrier delivered mine, but that was because she wanted to see them when I opened the box.

9. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    My neighbors don't give a SHHHHH

10. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    My PO always calls me and lets me know to come pick up live chicks, usually early in the morning before it even opens to the regular public. I just go around to the back and knock on the door. They are really great about letting me know as soon as they arrive.

I agree that most mail carriers aren't interested in policing the town codes and ordinances. It would probably be your neighbor's that you'd have to worry about. It's always a good idea to talk to them before getting farm animals (even if it really shouldn't concern them). This way, they feel like you care about their feelings on the matter and respect you for including them. I did that before getting chickens and peafowl, and now I don't have to feel guilty about it. For the most part, my neighbors have been wonderful and supportive, and even let us know if some of our pets get loose or wander off our property. They've even helped get them back home or kept them safe until we could go get them. It's worth it to forge a beneficial relationship with the people who might be affected in even a minor way.

Last edited: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by