Chicks under the light

They should be under light until you are gonna let them live outside. Start at 90 degrees for under one week and every week just lower the temperature by 5 until you reach the 5th week when you can transfer them outside.
jumpy.gif
_
D.gif

How long do baby chicks need to be under a red light

I keep mine under a heat lamp or other heating device until they are at least six weeks of age. The temperature should be kept at 95 degrees F. for the first week of their life, and then decrease by 5 degrees F. each week thereafter. Then, they can go outside, provided that the temperature is no less than about 50 degrees.

But they don't need to be beneath a red light. Any heat-producing light bulb or other heating device will work. Red lights are just the most commonly used because the red light discourages picking.

The red color light is suppose to stop them from pecking at each other. I swap out with lower wattages of bulbs when I want to lower the temp, I also raise and lower the light to adjust temperature.

Caroline

It's already October. Winter is coming and I've got to get these chicks "hardened off". One batch is two weeks old and the other 3 weeks old. Got a 90 watt bulb and 60 watt bulb over them already. Fact is, they are almost never under the lamp now, even with those low wattages. Next week, I'll put 40 watt bulbs in and that's all they'll need to take the chill off.

They are destined for some cold weather in a few months and they need to acclimate as soon as possible.

If you have a way to get power into your coop, try putting the heat lamp in the coop. If they are cold while they are out there, they will get under the lamp. If they aren't cold, they will move away from it. But it might also help any older chickens you have if you put the heat lamp out there, and you're expecting REALLY low temperatures. We humans don't like FEELING cold, and neither do chickens. Sure they can fluff their feathers to help stay warm, but it doesn't mean they have to like it! So a heat lamp in one corner of the coop will probably be well-appreciated during the winter anyway!

Just the question I was going to ask. Except I have four 3 week old chicks under a light at a temp of 80 degrees in the brooder light area. They all go to the other end of the brooder and cuddle together. Does this mean 80 is too hot for them? It's the temp I read was right for their 3rd week. Leave it the way it is or should I lower the temp even more? 1 is almost all feathered out (just the head left to get feathers) but the other 3 are a little behind her.

Thank you for any assistance.

~ Nicole

If the chicks avoid the lamp area? It's too hot. The chicks are far better at knowing what they want than a published recommendation, a thermometer or anything else.

Just read the chick's behaviors. If they huddle under the lamp, they're liking it. If they peep and stand under the lamp, they're cold. If they avoid the lamp and more far away, they're looking to cool themselves and the environment is simply too hot for their liking. If they hold their wings out and pant? They are heat stroking and this is deadly.

Back
Top Bottom