Chicks unwilling to go into coop at night

ninafe

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Houston, TX
Hi guys! I have four 6 week old ISA browns that moved outside to their coop with an attached run. They are in their run and coop with door open throughout the day but at night when it starts getting dark, I try to shuffle them back to their coop so they can get a good night of sleep. It’s been a struggle at night to get them into their coop though…. It seems like they don’t like the concept of going through the coop door to get inside, even though they do it during the day a lot but only on their own terms. So I have to physically pick them up and put them in the coop and they are fine and fall asleep as soon as I close the door. So it’s not like they don’t like being locked in the coop… they just don’t like being told to go inside?

Is there a way to teach them to go into the coop by themselves when it’s time to go to bed instead of me having to picking them up? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi guys! I have four 6 week old ISA browns that have been moved outside to their coop with an attached run. They are in their run and coop with door open throughout the day but at night when it starts getting dark, I try to shuffle them back to their coop so they can get a good night of sleep. It’s been a struggle at night to get them into their coop though…. It seems like they don’t like the concept of going through the coop door to get inside, even though they do it during the day a lot. So I’ve had to physically pick them up and put them in the coop and they are fine and fall asleep as soon as I close the door. So it’s not like they don’t like being locked in the coop… they just don’t like to go inside when it’s time?

Is there a way to teach them to go into the coop by themselves when it’s time to go to bed instead of me having to picking them up? Thanks!!
_If the coop is in direct sun possibly it's an uncomfortable temperature at roost time .

_If the coop is in direct sun possibly it's an uncomfortable temperature at roost time .
It is not in direct sun. The coop is in deep shade under our patio. And I don’t try to shut them in until 8 pm when it’s getting pretty dark. The coop is also well ventilated with a window so they could see the moon if they want to lol…

It is not in direct sun. The coop is in deep shade under our patio. And I don’t try to shut them in until 8 pm when it’s getting pretty dark. The coop is also well ventilated with a window so they could see the moon if they want to lol…
Do they have a roost that looks inviting ?

Yes- it’s a pre Fab coop and comes with two roosting bars and I added in one ‘portable’ chick roosting bar in there. During the day, the chicks would go in and out of the coop and stand on the roost no problem at all! It’s actually been their daily routine to all go back inside after bfast for some lounging and napping. So it’s not like tbey don’t like they coop. I actually thought about just leaving the coop door open at night since everythjng is predator proof. But those little crazy chicks would stand at the end of the run screaming for me as soon as it gets dark as if they decide that they want to go to bed now. But when I go outside and try to shuffle them in they start running around refusing to go in…. It’s weird. Maybe it’s just a phase?!

My guess is they are procrastinating and not going to roost early enough. Imagine poor eyesight, and having to go into a scary black hole to find a spot to land. If you have a way to temporarily light the inside of the coop until you lock them up.... I'm betting it will help. A week or so and they will be used to it, and you can quit using extra light.

Yes- it’s a pre Fab coop

Photos? Exterior and interior, please?

While it does seem that there is a "won't go to roost" stage of development that is very common in "teenage" pullets, the word "prefab" rings all kinds of alarm bells, especially in re: severely inadequate ventilation.

A chicken coop, especially in a hot climate like Houston, need sufficient 24/7/365 ventilation that it is never any warmer inside than outside and no odor of ammonia is ever detected. :)

I have also been chasing chicks around the coop trying to get them in at night, I have too many predators to even slightly consider just letting them be. I tried gently luring them in with treats, only to deal with the wild ones after the tame ones took the bait. Then I found a small piece of tin that helps tremendously, I just waggle the tin from where I do not want them to go & then cut around and waggle it from the opposite side to keep them from just circling the coop. Works better, but will they ever just go in? Yesterday was the only day they all went in peacefully, probably because it was raining all day. I can’t make it rain at bedtime every night, I am not that proficient at my Rain Dance, yet.

I have also been chasing chicks around the coop trying to get them in at night, I have too many predators to even slightly consider just letting them be. I tried gently luring them in with treats, only to deal with the wild ones after the tame ones took the bait. Then I found a small piece of tin that helps tremendously, I just waggle the tin from where I do not want them to go & then cut around and waggle it from the opposite side to keep them from just circling the coop. Works better, but will they ever just go in? Yesterday was the only day they all went in peacefully, probably because it was raining all day. I can’t make it rain at bedtime every night, I am not that proficient at my Rain Dance, yet.

What time are you trying to put them to bed?

I find that I have tremendous difficulty convincing chickens to go into the coop when it isn't dark yet but if I want to close up until dusk has closed in they quickly learn to go inside.

Back
Top Bottom