Chicks wasting more than they eat!

Have you ever seen or heard of a PVC pipe feeder for chickens? It discourages scratching and encourages just eating from the pipe opening. A quick search with the words "PVC feeder for chickens" should give you some ideas if you're open to trying that. I have not done it myself yet, but it is definitely the plan for the new coop that is currently a work in progress. I would just make sure the pipe isn't too large of a diameter that they could fit inside the opening, but maybe large enough that it could still be used for when they are adults as well

Have you ever seen or heard of a PVC pipe feeder for chickens? It discourages scratching and encourages just eating from the pipe opening. A quick search with the words "PVC feeder for chickens" should give you some ideas if you're open to trying that. I have not done it myself yet, but it is definitely the plan for the new coop that is currently a work in progress. I would just make sure the pipe isn't too large of a diameter that they could fit inside the opening, but maybe large enough that it could still be used for when they are adults as well
I use a 3" PVC pipe with a cap and it actually goes into a tray. The PVC pipe feeders is a great idea and does reduce spills.

Oh I actually tried that once! It worked for some of my birds but I had 2 really stubborn Easter eggers who would shovel it out with their beaks and dump it on the floor! So frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom