Chicks wasting TONS of feed. What to do?

They'll eat off the floor just fine, but don't let the feed sit in droppings for a long time. That's a great way to end up with sick chicks.

I had one of those very common red and white plastic feeders like you get at feed stores. I took it back because it seemed the chicks had fun billing out their food. I got a metal feeder and that stopped that. I like the one shown above (the one made out of a 5 gal bucket) but I'm not that handy.

I have one of the plastic store bought feeders in the coop, and my ugly, home-made Home Depot 5 gallon bucket and planter base feeder out in the run. There is almost NO spilled feed from the bucket feeder, but tons from the store bought one.

And Tweeza...if I can make a bucket feeder, then pretty much anybody can. It's quite simple really. You should give it a shot...

Last edited:
I used metal hanging feeders with a lip that supposedly reduce the billing out waste. I have recently switched to 1/2 pellets and 1/2 crumble moving toward pellets entirely. Although they don't like it as much, there is not much waste at all and my food bills have gone down.

you may try the feeders they stick their head in to eat but either way chick do waste feed. i try to feed them several times a day smaller amounts. cant tell when their hungrey their always hungrey. eat more coons

This a great thread! I have been having the same problem. I am going to make a bucket feeder and try that. I have gone for a day or two without feeding and make them clean up their mess but then I feel guilty, I am starting to not feel so guilty due to the feed bill. LOL

Back
Top Bottom