Chicks with hole in abdomen

ijustsawachickeneatafrog

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2020
The other day, the first lot of eggs which were under one of my broody hens began to hatch. I had bought 6 purebred pekin eggs to incubate, and 3 died in the early stages of incubation whilst the other 3 developed.
The first one which hatched appeared completely fine, although when I went to check in it later it had died (could be due to the hen, there's no way to tell).
The second one which hatched came out with a fairly large hole in its abdomen, a bit below its vent. I had thought it had been stuck to the side of the egg and it had happened during hatching, although there wasn't any bleeding and the skin wasn't torn. I patched it up and am hoping it heals alright.
Anyway, the third and final one never hatched. I opened it a bit earlier today and found that it was dead but fully developed, except it also had a large hole beneath its vent. It's organs had come out, which I'm guessing is what killed it.
Is this a normal thing? I've never had it happen before, and I suspect the parent birds might have been related.
The chick that's still alive is also really weird, like it's completely silent except for some random happy/snuggle noises which are very out of place. It also seem to have a bit of trouble seeing as well.
I don't have any photos, unfortunately, though I wish I did

Back
Top Bottom