chicks with older chicken feeling nervous

chicken42626

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
this morning i put my 4 chicks with my 2 older chicken one of the chicken is a red chicken and she is not getting along this mommy chicken is feeling nervous

How old are the two groups that you just integrated? What do you mean by "not getting along"? Do your chickens have lots of room? Is there room and places for your younger ones to get away from the older ones? Do you have separate feeding and watering stations? It helps to have hiding places - some place the youngers can get out of sight from the larger ones. Lean some plywood or something against the coop/run wall, leaving both ends open so a chick can't get cornered. There will be some pecking as the older birds are making sure the younger ones know their place. As long as the red one isn't pinning the young ones down and drawing blood, I wouldn't interfere too much. Chicken society isn't often pretty.

first group is a 2 year old rooster and 4 year old and second group is the 4 chicks one white and 3 blacks ones if i put a piece bread she will steal it from the chick they tons of room water and food is open 24/7

How old are the chicks? The hen taking away the bread is a normal dominant behavior. The reason for more that one feeder and waterer is to keep the older chickens from preventing the younger ones from eating. If the older chicken is guarding one feeder or waterer, the chicks can use another one. Again, as long as the hen isn't drawing blood or pinning any down or cornering them, I'd let them work it out.

Back
Top Bottom