Chicks with the hen in the winter will they survive?

goldmoth

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
i have two broody Bantam Bramas and it seems they may have hatched a chick or two. Our temperatures at night are in the 20-30's should I put the heat lamp on? Will the chicks survive? the two hens won't let me near or look at the chicks unless I were to pull them off the nest? will they be okay with the hens?

I just hatched chicks last month. I would recommend keeping the chicks and broodies inside if you aren't already. They don't technically need heat if they have a mother, but it will make it easier for them to run around instead of staying under the broody. I would recommend a heat lamp.

I will put the lamp on, it's a small coop....I only have 4 chickens 3 hens and a rooster . Two nesting boxes. Two of the hens are sitting on the chicks. The other hen and rooster are in the nesting box next two them in the same little house is this okay? They all are friendly to each other. This won't hurt the chicks?

Theses are my first chickens I really worry about them and I'm not sure what to do!

See how they react to the babies. Mine have always been fine with babies.

I have a red heat lamp in there but earlier when I put it on, the chickens would go outside later they would go in so I don't know if it was too warm, this was before they were broody and chicks were hatched. It comes on when it goes below 35 degrees I believe. J will turn it on if you think it's better for the chicks.

I will send pictures if they will let me see them, I have only seen some egg shells, the two hens are very protective at the moment.

I will put the lamp on, it's a small coop....I only have 4 chickens 3 hens and a rooster . Two nesting boxes. Two of the hens are sitting on the chicks. The other hen and rooster are in the nesting box next two them in the same little house is this okay? They all are friendly to each other. This won't hurt the chicks?

there are so many accidents with the lamps in the coops. I wouldn't do it. I have a broody with the 2 chicks, they are ok so far. if you can put them inside at night would be better. if not just leave them with the broody.

Back
Top Bottom