chicks with very large crops

kingkrab89

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
indiana
hi i have two batches of chicks one from the feed store and the other from a hatchery one group is in the garage the other in my bathroom and a few in each group have very large crops is this normal i havve never seen this before in any chicks what can i do to cure them thanks

kingkrab89

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
indiana
one group is about 6 weeks the other is about two the 6 week old one have had the others havent is that all they need is some grit

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
Chickens don't have teeth. Either get grit from a feedstore or walmart sells gravel n grit for parakeets if you can't find grit at a feedstore. It's smal stones and such that help them grind their food.

dacjohns

People Cracker Upper
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Wherever work sends me.
I believe, and I could be wrong, that a large crop is not uncommon. The crop is a temporary storage place for the food after it is eaten and before it moves to the gizzard. My hens quite often have large crops after gorging. I also believe that grit is used in the gizzard, not in the crop. So, grit won't help with a large crop. I don't think grit is needed when they are eating chick starter although it can't hurt. Is there a TSC near you? I think TSC sells chick grit.

Top Bottom