chicks with watery poo

jlholm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
I'm new to raising chickens and just started with 10 chicks. They are just 3 weeks old and today I noticed several of them have a more watery brown stool than they have had before. Is this something I should be worried about? They all seem to be active and healthy and eating and drinking normally. I just introduced meal worms to them as a treat. Could that be the problem? I could use any advice! I

I think that they are probably fine. They might just have drank more water, or eaten less feed. How hot are they? Hot chicks will have more waterery droppings, as they drink more water. Also, every ten droppings or so, a chicken produces a more liquidy, more smelly one called a cecal dropping. You may be seeing some of these.

Keep an eye on the droppings. If they start to have blood in them, or the chicks start acting sleepy or lethargic, they might have Coccidiosis. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much as long as they act healthy.

Good luck with your chicks!

Thanks! I will keep an eye on them for sure! This is all new to me, but I'm already in love with these chicks. I was planning on lowering the temp in the brooder another 5 degrees tomorrow, so will check that as well. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom