1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicky quarantine question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KKatknap, Dec 13, 2009.

1. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I am planning on getting a few chicks from a couple of different breeders at roughly the same time. Assuming conditions and birds look good at the breeders', is it necessary to isolate each batch of chicks from one another, or can chicks be put together at an early age without concern? I'm only thinking 3-4 chicks from a couple of different breeders, so it would be nice if I could keep them in the same brooder area. Obviously they will not be added to the rest of the gals until they are big girls, so that's not a problem, I just wondered about whether I need to quarantine babies from one another?

I tend to be extra cautious, so if this is a silly question, I apologize in advance. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would keep separately if you could....The baby chicks from each other and then away from your main flocks....If not, if one or more got something, then it could affect all.

Best of luck.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If your real question is, can chicks carry diseases, the answer is yes they can.

If you are looking at the pros and cons of mixing versus isolating the newcomers, I'll try to discuss. I think there are advantages and disadvantages both ways. And some may depend on how the chicks were kept at the breeder's. Were they isolated or with the flock and exposed to more possibilities? Even if they were isolated since hatch, they still could carry certain diseases picked up by common equipment or air born diseases, but the risk is less.

If you keep them separate, there are certain diseases they might have that could show themselves in the quarantine period. Or they might have a disease that they are immune to and will not show symptoms but could give to other birds. These will not show themselves unless you introduce them to new birds. So, if you keep them isolated by group, you won't know if they are carriers but are immune themselves. But you will know if they have a disease that has not yet manifested itself and you will know which group is carrying that disease.

If you combine the new groups, you take the chance of losing them all, but you protect your home flock from any diseases that one group has but is immune to plus any that has not manuifested itself. You may not be sure which group is the carrier, however. I think combining and quarantining the two new arriving groups together will do a better job of protecting your home flock.

The other aspect of this is that your home flock may be infected with something they are immune to but will kill off any new bird you introduce to them. This is probably not as big a concern as the other way around, but just something to be aware of.

Convoluted logic perhaps, but a good mental workout on one cup of coffee. I think I'll go get another.

4. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Thank you both!

And nicely done on only one cup of coffee! [​IMG]

Doesn't seem convoluted to me at all - in fact, I love the potential scenarios. It really helps me to make up my mind ahead of time. I like that.

Thanks also for confirming that I am not just the paranoid freak others around me might think. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by