chics left in heat

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gypsyfarm123, Jul 27, 2011.

1. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Hello all. I'm Craig in N.J.<Insert joke here>.I am new to raising 2 golden laced wyandotte's 2 bared plymouth's 2 americana and one new hampshire red(he's the only rooster of the bunch).I've been raising them in my basement for two months now and I have occassionaly been letting outside(in a large dog pen for a couple hours at a time until I finish buildin their pen and run(that will be preditor proof and all that).Ok,(get to the point,right?)Anyways,we have been having a heat wave here in N.J lately and I unfortunately fell asleep and they were left out in 100deg heat for about seven hours! When I finally remembered they were still out there, they were mouth breatheing (although they had water it was probably boiling!) I quickly brought them in and put icecubes in their waterer and raised their heat lamp.Are they going to be ok? I've been checking on them every hour or so and they seem to be settleing in ok.but I'm VERY worried that I'm going to wake up to some dead chickens. Do you guys/gals think they will be ok? Is there anything else I should do? Thank you

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi Craig I'm from NJ too! I think if they're settling in they should be alright. When my chicks were a few weeks old I realized I had to move the lamp up because they were panting, they recovered quickly. Good luck [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Chicks that are two months old don't need a heat lamp anymore. I hope you can get their pen done soon so they can be outside. We've been having triple digits (110 today) for over 3 weeks and all my birds are doing fine. The heat is hard on poultry, but the switching back and forth from inside to outside and back again is even harder on them.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome to BYC![​IMG] If your worried, you can bring them back in. I actually bring all my chicks inside when it's really hot like that. I almost lost a few in a heat wave. Next year we are installing the fan on the wall for them, so I can leave it on at night.

5. gypsyfarm123

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Thank you all for responding to my post..I'm soo glad I came across this place! I'm still learning on the proper way to do things around here (and my addhd doesn't help matters lol). You are all very welcoming and I do appreciate that for sure! I'm happy to say that my chics are doing fine this morning, although I'm a bit tired from worrying/checking on them all night:) I hope I responded the right way,and you all received my thanks. (is it considered bad etiquette to "pm" a response or should I have e-mailed?) I have a million questions but I promise ill try and read the rules and stuff later..(I said 'try',so don't hold me to it! lol anyways,you all are great,and thank you much! Muah!>>Craig

6. gypsyfarm123

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Oh! Look at that..I can respond THIS way! "Learnin' already" ha!

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Craig in NJ,

There are good Raising Chickens 101 columns here for you to study. They are filled with good information and answer an awful lot of questions.
    Scroll up to the very top of this page. Next to BYC Home do you see the tab: Learning Center? Click on that and study to your heart's content.

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hey Craig I'm Craig too, Welcome to BYc

10. FeatheredObsessions