Chics vaccinated with Mereks vaccine- what to feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wannabchick, Dec 2, 2010.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Whats your preference if you care to share:D

Orgainic medicated
    Is their Organic -not medicated

Or not organic at all..

Medicated
    Not medicated

Whats your preference- curious to know how many of you choose which method?

thanks so much

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The vaccine for Marek's Disease doesn't have any effect on what they need to eat. Totally different thing.

Most medicated starter contains amprolium, which is a preventative for coccidia, an internal parasite. I usually feed whatever chick starter I can find at the best price. Organic or not is your choice, though it often costs more.

As far as medicated or not, I feed medicated when I can find it, but it's pretty rare here in SC.

Best wishes with your chicks!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree with Ranchhand; although here in SW Arkansas medicated feed is about all you'll find. It's necessary here because our wet springs mean cocci is abundant in the soil.

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I fed mine medicated starter. Figured it probably couldn't hurt.
    The place I buy my feed does not carry an organic starter, but I switch to organic when they go to grower and layer.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vaccination for Marek's has nothing to do with what you feed them. If they are vaccinated for cocci, that is different.

If they have been vaccinated for cocci, do not feed them medicated feed or give them antibiotics for at least two weeks. If they have been vaccinated for cocci and you give them antibiotics or medicated feed, they may not develop the immunity they need so the vaccination for cocci was just a waste.

I do not feed medicated. I keep the babies in a brooder that is pretty dry. That normally keeps the cocci under control. I feed them dirt from the adult chicken run so they get the cocci protazoa in their systems early enough so they can develop an immunity to it.

I do not feed organic feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by