Chics vaccinated with Mereks vaccine- what to feed?

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
Whats your preference if you care to share:D

Orgainic medicated
Is their Organic -not medicated

Or not organic at all..

Medicated
Not medicated

Whats your preference- curious to know how many of you choose which method?

thanks so much

The vaccine for Marek's Disease doesn't have any effect on what they need to eat. Totally different thing.

Most medicated starter contains amprolium, which is a preventative for coccidia, an internal parasite. I usually feed whatever chick starter I can find at the best price. Organic or not is your choice, though it often costs more.

As far as medicated or not, I feed medicated when I can find it, but it's pretty rare here in SC.

Best wishes with your chicks!

Quote:
I agree with Ranchhand; although here in SW Arkansas medicated feed is about all you'll find. It's necessary here because our wet springs mean cocci is abundant in the soil.

I fed mine medicated starter. Figured it probably couldn't hurt.
The place I buy my feed does not carry an organic starter, but I switch to organic when they go to grower and layer.

Vaccination for Marek's has nothing to do with what you feed them. If they are vaccinated for cocci, that is different.

If they have been vaccinated for cocci, do not feed them medicated feed or give them antibiotics for at least two weeks. If they have been vaccinated for cocci and you give them antibiotics or medicated feed, they may not develop the immunity they need so the vaccination for cocci was just a waste.

I do not feed medicated. I keep the babies in a brooder that is pretty dry. That normally keeps the cocci under control. I feed them dirt from the adult chicken run so they get the cocci protazoa in their systems early enough so they can develop an immunity to it.

I do not feed organic feed.

Back
Top Bottom