chiicken greif

clucksbc

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
Two days ago, we unfortunately lost a chicken...
probably to an eagle or hawk cause there are no remains just a pile of feathers...

But I knew one was tramatized, i think she saw...but non of my chickens will go out in there run...
they are all just moping inside there coop...normally when i go out i say hi chicky chicky before i get to them. and they
happily talk back...
now nothing...
except when i go in the rooster is extra talkative...
i know i miss there little friend...and i am sure they do too as all my chickens are loved and have names...

but how can i help the poor things...they litterly are just roosting all day...

i have tryed to lure them out with scratch in the run but no sign of them...

thease are chickens that have a great double run...rarely were let out...

They know that a predator is/has been in the area. They will remain cautious for quite a while after a predator attack.

It is traumatic for them, especially when they see what happens. They're grieving and also, probably more significantly in his case, they're trying to avoid achieving the same fate.

I suspect they just need a few days and they'll come back to normal. Just make sure they're eating and drinking well, and that they are well protected. Probably providing free range time is the opposite of helpful--they would, right now, probably prefer the security of things being exactly the way they always are.

You might want to add wire to the top of the run as well, so the hawks can't get in. This won't instantly make the chickens feel better, but it will increase their true security.

Give them a few days, and see how they do. It's normal to go through a grieving process. :)

My pullets were very scared when a neighbor's dog came to their run, fortunately they were inside the run so the dog could not harm them, however they went in the coop and did not want to come out for three days. I had to move their feeder and waterer inside the coop. They have to feel safe after such a traumatic situation like in your case, they will come out, just give them some time.

My free-ranging games will greatly change beahvior when repeatedly stressed by predators like foxes. Roosters will almost stop crowing and birds will start to slink around quitely holding tails horizontaly and tightly. Hackles will also make neck look skinny. When something like a fox subsequently scares them they fly immediately, no cackling around. Flights take them immediately into trees. Sometimes the birds will avoid walking in open, rather flying across feilds which can be a few hundred feet across. Also when they are pressed by a predator, exhuastion can make birds appear depressed. Birds sometimes require a couple hours at least to recover from strenous activity of long flights and sometimes I think they actually get sore like we do after a very strenous bout of activity.

thanks for your kindness in answering...

i will try and be more patient then...but day 4 though and still inside...
but they are still laying well the couple that are laying right now..
there pen is very secure...
in fact we had, bears, try and get in a couple times last summer,
and there covered fortress was safe...

just hated to see them seem depressed..but guess it is all understandable..

ok i now know what it was...saw it out there waiting for another one..
a bob cat...

we have a huge forest behind ourplace...it is understandable there is wildlife
out there but definately not comfortable with it on our side of the fence...
there pen still has winterised protection..which isn't comming off now...!!!!!!
and am now happy if they choose to stay safe inside..!!!!.

Back
Top Bottom