chikens-pullets or chicks, and a house

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
My dad and I are probably going to get some chickens for egg laying. The choices of chickens are, RIR, Cornish rock, assorted bantams, Srtaight run chicks, and assorted pullets. we don't know wether to get chicks or pullwts. anyway out of those choices what would be the best egg layers? I am guessing RIR. and second we dont want our yard looking like a zoo with too many animals. so how big would our coop have to be for just 4-5 hens?

Rir are great egg layers. Assorted pullets can make an interesting flock. Depending on where you live you probably don't want roosters because they can be noisy so you should stick with pullets. There is a lot of good information in Coop and run design and construction. You should get some great ideas for building a small one. I think the minimum space requirement on the inside is 4 sq. ft. per bird although more is better.

fortunatley we own 8 acres enough in an uninhabited field. enough for a small poultry farm. the only bad thing is coyotes and fox. but they should not be a problem as i have a ruger .308 waiting!!!

Out of your choices you are right, it would be the RIR. Outside of your choices though, it would be the white leghorns. They are the ones that lay the very large eggs for most grocery stores. About the pen; I would say and 8 x 8 would be great as long as you have a little yard around it completely fenced in, including the roof area. They will go in at night, once you keep them in for about a week and they know that is where they are fed and sleep. Good luck! Pretty soon though, you'll be like us, chickens after chickens after chickens. You'll have every breed. Tehe! It is worse than liking Lays Potatoe Chips.
smile.png

RIR's! They lay your big brown eggs and are great layers. That's what I got and for that reason! I have 5 kids that eat a ton, so the RIR's were my best choice!
big_smile.png
The chicks are a lot of fun, but if you want eggs soon, I would get some that are adults or close to it. Best of luck!

I would go with an 8x8 but my dad just wants a small little hen house on stilts with a ramp so they can go outside. the cage would only be about 5x5 for 4 hens. will that work?

Yeah that'll work. Here's a link to Ark plans, a moveable house.
http://www.organicgardening.com/pdf/coop_plans.pdf

An ark is always handy as a place for extra birds when they happen.

Most places that deliver pullets deliver "industrial" hybrids, they're a mix of RIR, Barred Rock and other breeds.

Bantams can be hit and miss for egg laying. Bantam RIR's can be good.

If you get chicks now, you might get the first eggs by christmas. You want success up front so your dad's enthusiasm will increase and he see's you're serious. Then you can build something bigger and keep a few more.

Back
Top Bottom