chikns in the rain....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by griffinheather, Jun 21, 2011.

1. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    My rooster and hen have a comfy and cozy house to get into whenever they want, but today when I came home they were standing in the rain all soaking wet. Should I blow them dry? When I put them back out, they'll just run around in the wet grass and rain again. It was ninty degrees today getting down to the high seventies tonight. Maybe if they get cold that'll be some incentive to get inside the coop. When they were smaller, they would spend everynight inside the coop. I've cleaned it out, put in fresh bedding, even put their food inside, still no luck. What do ya'll think?

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hm thats a good one. I dont like mine getting wet but they do. I would say as long and a good dry place is available to them let them do there own thing, as long as its not freezing out side. Mine where all soaked this morning we got a down pour..

3. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    My Dad's chickens used to stay out in the rain alot, I always wondered what the heck they were doing that for

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As much as we love our chickens as pets, they are in fact livestock. In other words, rain isn't going to hurt them. Yes, it's necessary for them to have a dry, waterproof coop to go into if they choose, but standing out in the rain isn't going to hurt them.

About the only time my chickens, young and old, will go in out of the rain is if the winds are also very brisk or it's hailing. They don't like getting bonked on the head by hail.

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    It's pouring right now - mine are going to look like wet, muddy mops! But they'll fluff out again as they dry. If the rain gets too heavy, they'll get under the awning in front of the coop door. And since the sky is dark, they'll be going to bed early.

It's never hurt them to be wet, as long as they have a dry place to sleep. And sometimes not even that - my adult Brahmas chose to roost at the end of the coop where the rain blew in! The young ones stayed on the dry end, but the big ones sat in the wind and wet. I've never had a sick chicken, or lost one to mysterious causes...they're tough creatures!

6. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    Thanks guys! I was just wondering if my chickens or myself was going to crazy! lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by