Child allergic to chicks?

Jimagination

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
Lancaster, PA
Well,it seems that after getting the chicks yesterday, my daughter, 4, who is enthralled by the chicks has a body filled with hives. We have given her Benadryl and they seem a little better this morning, so we will keep trying that and hope that it is something else and not the chicks. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

How old are the chicks?

Just wondering if there is any chance they could have mites? They can make you come out in tiny itchy spots mostly in dark areas such as under arms and on the stomach and tops of legs round the undie line.

Really hard to see but you may spot them on hands after holding chicks.

They are about 2 days old. They just arrived yesterday from Meyer Hatchery. No one else seems to have any hives, but our youngest. They are all over here and huge welted bumps.

I have really sensitive skin and get itchy when I clean out my brooders. But I blame it on the dust that the chicks create and the pine bedding? What do you have in your brooder? Maybe she is sensitive to it too?

Hmmmm...we just have newspaper in there right now. I'm thinking it could be the poop. Does that make sense? One thing. the last time we had chickens I was pregnant with her and she was a newborn and then we moved and the chickens had to go. Does anyone know anything about allergies? Could that be something that she built an allergy to?

Back
Top Bottom