children and roosters

barnyard critters

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
Alberta
I have a 2 yr. old and 4 yr old and a small flock that have the run of the yard. Our Australorp rooster(which we were told are quiet) will be 1 yr. old in May. He is going out of his way to run at, flap and peck their backsides as they turn away. Should they carry a stick-I've been told that to return aggression does not work?
Suggestions for the children.
Suggestions for quieter roosters.
Much obliged.
Wendy

with a 2 an 4yr old id get rid of the rooster.an heres why at the age they are the kids cant defend themselves.the rooster could flogg an hurt them with their spurs or jump up an peck them in the face or eye.an you wouldnt want them to lose an eye.

If your roo is starting to show aggressive behavior towards anyone and especially your small children I would re-home him. Mature roos can inflict serious damage, not to mention cause your little ones to become very afraid of all chickens. I had a roo who suddenly jumped on or attacked anyone who came into the coop or chicken yard and my young granddaughters were very afraid of him. The last straw came when he attacked and tried to kill a young hen, then attacked my DH when he went in the yard to rescue the hen. Needless to say he met his maker last Thanksgiving. If you really want a roo get one from someone you can trust that will sell you a mild mannered one. Some will even let you take them home on a trial basis.

Last edited:
I heard one should discipline their rooster by catching and hanging him upside down. This embarasses him to the 'girls' and show him who is the 'Alpha'. My australorp roo does exactly what is described up above. He is just now 1, in the fall I thought I had the problem licked by hanging him for a few minutes here and there. But now that spring is here he is back to the sneak attacks... Were it not for my kids it would be funny, I hear the patter of his feet, turn around, and he stops and starts pecking at the ground like, 'who me?? I'm not doing anything...' He has been 'hung' 3 times already but really seems to be feeling his 'oats'...

I really would rather not re-home him or show him the stew pot, but is that the general concensus???

I won't tolerate that kind of behavior around my kids. He would get penned up, or ate. If you want to try to correct this behavior, you can try THIS .

I had a rooster that was very gentile. At around 9 months of age he started getting a little aggressive. When I would let them out to free range he would try and flog my legs when my back was turned. I tried holding him upside down. Didnt work. Made him a little upset. The last straw was when he went after my 7 year old son who was standing beside me. He got pened up for about a week, then I made broth for dressing out of him. The Roo I have now is gentile and will let the girls eat first. He gives them all the choice bugs and worm he finds. My kids feed them bead crumbs and he lets them have all if them. He is also real proctive of his girls.
Here is a pic of the boy, he is missing a few tail feathers. There was a hawk attack nad he lived.
01010194-1.jpg

I decided to send him down the road today after he got me, too. However, does anyone have suggestions for a more docile breed? I have only heard from one person that dark brahma are better.
wendy

Back
Top Bottom