Chilled Chickens

EMERENCY: We lost anoter silkie. I dont tink tey are freezin. I tink tey mit be sick. Teyve been inside and we lost anoter one. Tey ave been actin very eneretic.

EMERENCY: We lost anoter silkie. I dont tink tey are freezin. I tink tey mit be sick. Teyve been inside and we lost anoter one. Tey ave been actin very eneretic.

:( I'm sorry to hear that.

For the ones still alive, you say they are energetic. Does their poop look normal? Do they seem to be eating and drinking normally?

Any injuries on any of the dead ones? A dead animal can get stiff and feel cold even if it died of something completely different. If a predator of some kind was sneaking in, or if one of your chickens attacked another one, that might leave some kind of marks.

Is there a vet in your area that deals with chickens? A good vet would be the best choice for figuring out if you have an illness.

unfortunately there are no vets that take in birds here. When health checking all my chickens I found that four are extremely thin, including the hypothermic rooster from the first time. I separated them in a different pen with extra food so they can gain weight without being picked on. These chickens are weak and shaky and they ate like they were starving, which it sure looked like they were. I never realized it before because you couldnt really tell if you didnt pay very close attention or pick them up. These chickens were very easy to catch compared to the rest of my flock.

unfortunately there are no vets that take in birds here. When health checking all my chickens I found that four are extremely thin, including the hypothermic rooster from the first time. I separated them in a different pen with extra food so they can gain weight without being picked on. These chickens are weak and shaky and they ate like they were starving, which it sure looked like they were. I never realized it before because you couldnt really tell if you didnt pay very close attention or pick them up. These chickens were very easy to catch compared to the rest of my flock.

If they weren't getting enough to eat, that could certainly have been causing the problems and the deaths.

It sounds like you what you just did will be a good solution (separate pen for the thin ones to eat in peace).

I assume you will be checking regularly in future, to make sure this doesn't happen again :)

Back
Top Bottom