Chilly weather means a SOUPer weekend

Quote:
OMG, oh, polygamy, why were you banned. U.S.A. prudes?

I agree I want a sister wife!!! preferably one who likes to clean house! I told my husband to go find one, he's never sure if I am joking or not but he looked a little scared . . .

That's what Anne says. I can bring another woman home as long as she's willing to cook and clean. Hmmmmmmmmm... Is she thinking of ME?

Quote:
I agree I want a sister wife!!! preferably one who likes to clean house! I told my husband to go find one, he's never sure if I am joking or not but he looked a little scared . . .

That's what Anne says. I can bring another woman home as long as she's willing to cook and clean. Hmmmmmmmmm... Is she thinking of ME?

This is ironic! LOL My dh and I had this conversation this morning! I would totally LOVE another woman to move in here and help me with my chores and the kids. I would even share my DH if she was a good enough housekeeper LOL
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
How about sharing your cookie recipe? I've tried a couple of different applesause oatmeal cookie recipes, but haven't found the right one yet.

I found this one in my Moms recipe box. This is the first time I have used it. It makes a very soft cookie.

2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 cup apple sauce (I used some sauce I made that had a lot of cinnamon and spices so I did not add the other cinnamon)
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup raisins
Cream sugar, butter and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients.
375 for 10 minutes

Quote:
How about sharing your cookie recipe? I've tried a couple of different applesause oatmeal cookie recipes, but haven't found the right one yet.

I found this one in my Moms recipe box. This is the first time I have used it. It makes a very soft cookie.

2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 cup apple sauce (I used some sauce I made that had a lot of cinnamon and spices so I did not add the other cinnamon)
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup raisins
Cream sugar, butter and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients.
375 for 10 minutes

Thanks!
smile.png

Here is a good soup recipe that is frugal and uses up those leftovers too:

Hodgepodge Soup from the Crock Pot

pork leftovers - ham bone, ham, salami, bologna, hot dogs, kielbasa, sausage, roast pork or barbecued pork
2 carrots, grated
2 medium potatoes, grated
1 large onion, chopped
4-8 outer cabbage leaves, shredded
1/2 cup white wine or beer
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 t parsley flakes
pinch of dried thyme or sprigs of fresh
4 cups water or ham bone broth

Layer the meats and vegetables in the crock pot in the order listed. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

To serve: place one or two slices of toasted French bread in a bowl; sprinkle on 1 TB grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese, then ladle the soup over. 8-10 servings

peepless - that sounds really good. I just picked up this year's hog at the locker today. Freezer is chock-full of pork. 17.5 pounds of bacon, thick slice. Where are all those tomatoes now that I've got so much bacon for BLTs???

Yesterday I simmered a couple of whole chicken legs until the broth was rich. Removed the meat from the bones and put the meat back in the pot. I added a potato, a couple carrots and a couple stalks of celery, chopped.
About a tablespoon of curry powder, some garlic salt and egg noodles.
Simmered til done and served with warm buttered sourdough bread.

Because of my awesome overwhelming tomato harvest I made TONS of Tomato Basil soup and I froze at least 2 gallons for the winter. I love this so much with some italian bread and topped with parmesean cheese.... Mmmmmmmmmm!
droolin.gif

Here's my cookie recipe contribution. The recipe came from a woman who took care of me as a child ... I called her "Grandma", though she was actually a family friend and no relation ... but we've always called these "Grandma Cookies" since we were kids. I've dug this out recently because they (can) use bacon fat, and we've been making BLTs daily with all the tomatos ... my kids absolutelty love these cookies.

"Grandma" Conger's Molasses Cookies

This is a big recipe, you'll need a really large mixing bowl. "Grandma" used to mix this up in a dishpan.

1 1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup bacon fat (or Crisco)
1 cup black / dark molasses
2 eggs
2 tsps ginger
1 tsp cinamon
1 tsp nutmeg

1 1/4 cup sour milk or cream (use a little vinegar to sour it)
1 heaping tsp baking soda in the sour milk - then add both to above. This will foam a bit, so have room for it!

2 heaping tsp baking soda in about 6 cups of flour (I start with about 5 1/2 cups of flour, and add up to a half cup as needed for consistancy)

Preheat oven to 350f.

Mix ingredients in order given above into a soft dough. Don't over mix. This is a sticky dough, and can be a chore to work with, but the cookies are worth it!

Roll out on a well floured board. Keep quite thick, at least 1/4".

Cut out with large cookie cutters, or use the open end of an empty #2 vegetable can, or very small coffee can.

Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 350f. Test by touch. These should end up somewhere between "cookie" and "molases cake" consistancy, a cookie that is soft and chewy.

We sometimes eat these "plain", and sometimes we add frosting. We also use orange frosting with yellow and green icing to make "jack o' lantern" decorated cookies for Halloween.

Back
Top Bottom