Chin link fence run? Questions about repair.

Ms. Cluckingly

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
So I just bought a HUGE chain link dog run that was kind of tore up by the previous owner's dog. So I've got some work to do on it. I am NOT handy and my husband is out of state for a while. Do any of you know the best way to repair fencing? I don't want it to look horrible when my husband comes home.
hmm.png

Really tough question to answer given the circmustances-not handy and don't want it to look ugly. It is possible to un-weave chain link but that would require a replacement link. The box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) have some but the shortest section is probably 25' and may not be the same height as your dog run. Temporary repairs could be made with wire ( farm supply type stores carry small rolls) which could be used to weave a patch, attempting to duplicate the pattern of the dog run).
You might consider calling a local fencing company and explain your situation. At a minimum they might have some old extras laying around and "home run" would be a sympathetic owner that sends someone out for free. Be sure that you mention your husbands 4 tours of duty-being a 22 year veteran sure pulls at my heart.
If possible a picture of the damage would help.

I'm not sure this will help you, but I'm in a similar situation. My run was also a dog run made of chain link. It was left in my mother's backyard and pretty much buried in kudzo vine! At times we couldn't even see where the link was
ep.gif
We managed to get the vines down enough to pull everything out, but the force of the vines have really wrecked some of the chain link. Other than the gate (which will probably have to build out of wood and hardware cloth) most of the issues with the chainlink seem to be towards the bottom. I'm going to attach hardware cloth to the bottom of the run to help with predators, but it will also get rid of the holes. Perhaps covering the chainlink with another wire would work for you too? I don't think it would look bad if it was uniformly done.

Thanks for the advice yall.
smile.png
I think for now I'll give a fencing company a call and see if they can come out and estimate helping me fix it. The problems are the door (where a 100lb lab escaped) and two or three other spots. I'll see if I can take some pics and post them. You see, we bought another run already, but it is only 4x4x8, which isn't enough for all my girls to play happily. We paid an arm and a leg for it, and this dog run, I only paid 60 for. So, reasonably, if we can fix the dog run, we can resell the small run, recoup the costs and have happy hens. LOL I'll try to get outside and take pics here in a bit. Thanks yall. And I "would" mention my husband's service, but here, they really don't care too much about the military guys. lol It's old news in many places, and there are TONS of those who don't support the war effort.. but I am rambling with my grumbles about military life. BACK TO CHICKENS! Thanks yall.
smile.png

While there are those that don't support please know that there are tons of us that do.

Back
Top Bottom