1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chinchillas

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Firework, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Does anyone know what Chinchillas eat? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2009
  2. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    They should be fed a good quality chinchilla pelleted diet (such as Mazuri or Oxbow) and also grass hay (alfalfa has too much protein in it). Feed very few treats (veggies, etc) as their digestive tract is more sensitive than rabbits.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:We used timothy hay for hay.

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    how do they taste?

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:Maybe like a squirrel?

6. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Most people don't raise chinchillas for meat.

7. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Thanks.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Since chinchillas sell for $100s and can be hard to breed you'd be better off selling the offspring and using the money to buy meat off someone. [​IMG]

Chinchillas are related to guinea pigs and both eat a diet similar to large grazing animals like horses. They need mostly hay with a small amount of pellet food to provide any missing vitamins and minerals. Then some fresh foods which can be as simple as fresh grass or a small amount of vegetable. Grains and seeds should be limited to treats and not a main part of the diet or pellet you feed.

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:They really go for that much? ACK!!!! I should kept some around. I always heard about raising them for their fur but was always curious what they tasted like... or did they waste the carcass.

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbor talked us out of them, as she had some and said they have to have AC and are sort of difficult to take care of. I think they are the most precious little animals I have ever seen, and that fur!! I wouldn't wear it, they had it first, but the feel of it is just unforgettable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by