chinese versus african goslings?

pinkyglory123

Songster
9 Years
Jul 3, 2010
I have six goslings about two weeks old now. Maybe a little more. They are McMurray's "weeder geese" so could be one of several breeds. They are all the same. Is there any way to distinguish brown chinese from african goslings? I think these may be african but the pictures I have seen of chinese gosling look very similar. Just curious. Eventually when they feather out I will be able to tell.

Quote:
Without having them side by side it is tough, but even as week old goslings you can take a shot. The chinese have a 'snaky' head narrow and more pointed than African, the feet can give you a clue since the african are wider and look extra large for the body. Many go by the necks saying that the chinese have longer more narrow necks (this has never worked for me). If sold as weeders they are probally chinese since they are very good at weeding and cheaper to produce than africans.

Thanks-today I am wondering if I have two different breeds-although the size differance may simply be males versus females. Some of the larger ones seem to have a more "roman" profile-a downward turn to the beak. the other smaller goslings appear to have a straighter beak profile. One seems to actually have a dewlap at this age-a big gosling. Who knows! Eventually it will be obvious! Most likely they are chinese for the economic reasons you mentioned! Thanks so much-whatever they are they are thriving. They were too afraid of my rain coat to follow me for their first short jaunt outside today. Thanks again-you and I are on the same track identifying these buggers.

Back
Top Bottom