Chip munks.

Dakota8472

Crowing
Apr 9, 2022
when i leave the coop open and the birds are out behind it i noticed a few chipmunks or ground squirells eating on my dime. but today when it was raining the birds just had it in there ignoring it fattening up. should i be worried about this small animal? being in the coop? is it likely to attract predators or give mites or other things to the chickens? my old boss always had a squirrel in his hen house and i know he installed a feeder the birds had to stand on to dispense food.

Last edited:
My Vet Tech daughter told me most parasites are species specific, so a chicken mite or lice will be on chickens, and chipmunk mites or lice will be different.

That isn't to say that a hitchhiker can't possibly be tracked along if you have a neighbor's coop nearby.

Having said that, I have a noisy rat terrier mix that chases the squirrels away in my yard. They are terrible at feeding on my dime. Fall of course is the worst. I've not gone to a treadle feeder yet as I often have broody hatched chicks that wouldn't be able to operate it.

So I just grumble at the squirrels and send my dog out to scare them away.

LofMc

when i leave the coop open and the birds are out behind it i noticed a few chipmunks or ground squirells eating on my dime. but today when it was raining the birds just had it in there ignoring it fattening up. should i be worried about this small animal? being in the coop? is it likely to attract predators or give mites or other things to the chickens? my old boss always had a squirrel in his hen house and i know he installed a feeder the birds had to stand on to dispense food.
They eat baby chicks.

I hope this helps!(Graphic)
I believed you. I know squirrels attack baby birds. I didn't need video proof.

All I'm saying having lived over 30 years in Oregon, the last 10 with chickens who have multiple broods each spring, and a yard with a multitude of squirrels, even those who steal from the feeder, I have never had a squirrel attack a chick.

I have had night time losses with rat evidence and lots of daytime losses from hawks. I've seen hawks swoop down and carry off a chick for a quick take out snack.

Just my experience.
LofMc

im not even going to watch it. ill just hope the chip munk remembers to eat the feed and not mess with my birdies. or ill be eating chip munk.

Also, you are dealing with chipmunks which are much smaller than squirrels (who generally go after much smaller prey as well).

Chipmunks are too small to attack a chick. They will however hand over fist your feed.

I definitely see it in the feed bill during the spring and fall. And it's frustrating because it's not a matter of simply taking the feed up at night (ie for rats). They come out in the day (but then again so do the rats in my area when I take the feed up at night! Grrr.)

So you'll not lose chicks from chipmunks. You will lose feed.

LofMc

All I'm saying having lived over 30 years in Oregon, the last 10 with chickens who have multiple broods each spring, and a yard with a multitude of squirrels, even those who steal from the feeder, I have never had a squirrel attack a chick.

I have had night time losses with rat evidence and lots of daytime losses from hawks. I've seen hawks swoop down and carry off a chick for a quick take out snack.

Just my experience.
LofMc
I grew up around chickens myself so I'm no stranger to predators. I would have never believed they killed baby chicks had I not seen someone post a video.Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom