chipped trees - good for coop floors?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
we recently trimmed back all our big trees and have lots of twigs/branches which we will be shredding/chipping shortly when we rent the machine to do it.

would i be able to use the chipped wood/leaves on the floor in the chicken houses?

I have the same question. I have a lot of pine and elm. You can EAT elm. When the elm blossoms are out, I'll reach up and eat 'em like snacks. Anyway, I want to get our chipper running right and then try chipping up all this pine and elm we have a constant supply of, and try it for coop flooring.

our trees are mainly fruit trees, a couple walnut, acorn and sycamore trees, then we have also all the leftover bits from trimming the bushes/hedges around the fields.

Black walnut mulch can be dangerous for chickens. Cedar is also a no-no. I don't know too much else about it tho'
hu.gif

Quote:
Not indoors. Bear in mind that chippings from live trees, even when leafless, will heat up considerably as they compost and get fiercely moldy if piled deeper than 3-4" or so. Chippings from absolutely-dead wood won't heat up so much but can still get considerably moldy unless you have some way to dry them thoroughly before use, which you probably do not. Also the chippings you get will be mostly quite coarse, and even the fine ones won't be at all absorbent the way that shavings or straw are.

Outdoors in the run, sure, put them there if that's what you want, it's the same as using mulch.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom