1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chipper Mulch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cullenf27, Jun 16, 2011.

1. cullenf27

cullenf27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I was wondering I live in Florida and I am clearing my back property. We are using our chipper to do this and we are putting branches and vines such as oak, spice, and walnut tree branches. The chipper makes fast work and I would love to save some money and use this mulch instead of pine shavings. Is this okay?

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    They work as long as you get them dried. Wet = Mold and mildew which equals bigger issues, especially when combined with chicken crap!

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

They have to go through a heat so they won't burn your plants or anything. Pretty much you have to let them sit and season for a bit.

4. cullenf27

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks for the help this will definately save me some money we also Let the wood weather before we even put it in the chipper because the green stuff really messes with it.

5. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:Then I think you'll have no trouble. You will probably find that the larger chips don't absorb the moisture as quickly, so keep an eye on that.

6. cullenf27

Apr 27, 2011
    Ok will do

7. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I put big mulch in my run and less than 2 years later it was 6" of MUD. Mulch breaks down, like all organic material. Then you have to haul it all back out.

Gravel w/ sand on top is a much better choice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by