Chirping inside shell

Heartsopenwide

Songster
Jan 23, 2021
Yesterday was lockdown. I took the turner out and candled when I got off work. I could already hear some chirping. This is only my second hatch. I don’t remember hearing chirping this early last time. This round I did a dry hatch. Will some come premature? Or is it normal to hear chirping on day 18?

They may come out a bit early. If they unzip themselves usually it is ok. The earliest I've had a chick hatch is day 19 and she is almost a year old. Thats alo very weird because early hatching is usually due to high humidity but if you are doing a dry hatch... I don't know.
@Tonyroo

Recently I had a bantam pip on day 19, & hatch on day 20, & my temperature was good in the 99.5°F range. It was about a week ago.

Not really. Day 18 for international pipping is a bit early. You will likely get some early hatches. It don't necessarily mean they're premature, just that they developed a little to fast. Usually due to temperatures being a bit high. This is common if your incubator has hot and cool spots, like mine. My first chick hatched on day 19, a couple more on day 20, most of them on day 21, and some on days 22 and 23. I hatched 38 i believe. The ones around the edges took longer and the ones in the middle directly under the heating element hatched early. I have the still air little green giant (or whatever its called) with the automatic turner. I dry hatch as well.

Mine just hatched on day 19 early this morning. It was chirping yesterday evening and pipped then too. It’s very healthy and active. The other eggs aren’t hatched yet but I hear chirping from another one.

I gave my broody hen the same eggs to hatch and one was pipped early this morning on day 19. So I know it’s not just the incubator.

The eggs are rather small (Speckled Sussexes) so I’m guessing this is why they’re a bit early.

Back
Top Bottom