Chkn Space

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1CknMoM, Mar 24, 2009.

1. 1CknMoM

1CknMoM New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    I have 20 chicks and am using 2 dog kennels. I'm running out of room and I've read that I can't move them out to the coop until they're at least 3 months old, and I need some ideas on what I can make or use to give my chicks more room until they're old enough to move to the coop.

2. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    you might just have to sell a few chicks to ean space. i put my chicks out side when it is the same temp as the brooder should be.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!

Can you get several cardboard boxes? You may be able to tape several boxes together to create a larger brooder. Check out this thread that shows tons of creative brooder ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

Glad you found BYC - you'll learn a lot here, and the people are great!

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Buy a new dog kennel [​IMG]

5. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    My chicks are 3 weeks old.
    We are converting our shed into a coop for our chickens.

My BF made a "Brooder" area in our shed so I could move the chicks out there.

It went down to 30 last night. I have 2 heat lamps for them. They were cuddled together under the cooler of the 2 lamps last night when I went to check on them around midnight.
    I went out to check on them this morning, and they are all content.

Can you make a brooder area in your coop?

Here's what mine looks like.
    [​IMG]

I have 9 babies in there. I am pretty certain there is plenty of room for more. This is 4 feet X 3 feet X 2 feet tall.

I have a piece of siding that I lay across the top. It helps keep the heat in, but allows some ventilation too.

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    Hi and [​IMG]

How old are your chicks now? I don't think you need to wait at least 3 months.

The general rule of thumb I've heard is that once they are fully feathered out, they are good to go without any supplemental heat in the coop (assuming this will be sometime between now and summer). Some people put them out sooner than that too with no problems, you'd just need a heat lamp in the coop. How big is your coop and do you have chickens in it already? Your night-time low temps and the feathers (or lack thereof) should both allow you to do this before 3 months unless you live in the artic circle [​IMG] Just my opinion though, I'm sure people that know more than I will chime in.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I got a potato box from the produce section at the grocery. It was at least 4x4. I lined the bottom with newsprint, which made it easier to switch out the shavings. Topped it with a screen & some cardboard. Threw it away after using it a couple weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by