Chkn Space

1CknMoM

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
I have 20 chicks and am using 2 dog kennels. I'm running out of room and I've read that I can't move them out to the coop until they're at least 3 months old, and I need some ideas on what I can make or use to give my chicks more room until they're old enough to move to the coop.

Buy a new dog kennel
big_smile.png

My chicks are 3 weeks old.
We are converting our shed into a coop for our chickens.

My BF made a "Brooder" area in our shed so I could move the chicks out there.

It went down to 30 last night. I have 2 heat lamps for them. They were cuddled together under the cooler of the 2 lamps last night when I went to check on them around midnight.
I went out to check on them this morning, and they are all content.

Can you make a brooder area in your coop?

Here's what mine looks like.
3380679086_42002df236.jpg

I have 9 babies in there. I am pretty certain there is plenty of room for more. This is 4 feet X 3 feet X 2 feet tall.

I have a piece of siding that I lay across the top. It helps keep the heat in, but allows some ventilation too.

Good luck!
wink.png

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

How old are your chicks now? I don't think you need to wait at least 3 months.

The general rule of thumb I've heard is that once they are fully feathered out, they are good to go without any supplemental heat in the coop (assuming this will be sometime between now and summer). Some people put them out sooner than that too with no problems, you'd just need a heat lamp in the coop. How big is your coop and do you have chickens in it already? Your night-time low temps and the feathers (or lack thereof) should both allow you to do this before 3 months unless you live in the artic circle
smile.png
Just my opinion though, I'm sure people that know more than I will chime in.

I got a potato box from the produce section at the grocery. It was at least 4x4. I lined the bottom with newsprint, which made it easier to switch out the shavings. Topped it with a screen & some cardboard. Threw it away after using it a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom